X1 Titanium: First Yoga convertible with 3:2 screen (?)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

OMG! :vbeek:

Is $3000 the new $1000?

We're talking about the standard ultrabook base config (i5 8/256GB) that has been with us for years costing almost 3k now.

Even a 50% sale would only bring the price to 'expensive'... :vbtongue:

JoeS and dellaster like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

Much as I like ThinkPads, in this case I would skip the titanium and buy the HP Spectre 14 that @dstrauss recommends and save a bundle.

I keep wondering if the prices are an error, like they used the same number from some other currency.

3. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

That entry price is especially high compared to even Apple and Surface Book 15 inch standards.

It also funny that if you compare it with the Spectre 14 x360 and overlook the price gap even then is not a clear winner (maybe the Yoga is slightly ahead because of entreprise features). Factor in the price and the Spectre is a no-brainer.

4. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, it is even more expensive currently than the ThinkPad X1 Fold, which is quite a feat. I would expect the price to go down in a few weeks. For $3,000, I don't think Lenovo will sell that many (although it is targeting people like CEOs who certainly have the neccessary funds).

dellaster likes this.
  5. daddyfish

, Lenovo does have a tendency to have often sales on their own shop, though I am personally wary to buy directly on manufacturer websites (as consumer or small company) since the warranty is often crappier compared to popular retail shops here in Europe. Maybe these business line devices do automatically come with better warranty though?

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah, dealing with Lenovo directly was a huge pain last time around. Their shipping estimates seem to be complete bogus, and the communication equally bad. Just scroll through this list for an idea: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/bd-p/Special_Interest_General

7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm hoping that one of our customers buys one and submits it to us for certification as it certainly is appealing, on paper anyway.

Totally agree on Lenovo's consumer web channel. utter crapshoot on what experience you will get. Just in the last couple of months. it was utterly awful with our attempts to get a fold to test, so much so that we finally ended up testing a customer submitted unit (which we were NOT impressed with)

OTOH we also ordered both a Duet Chromebook and a their pro Android tablet and both of those were delivered over a week ahead of the promised delivery date.

JoeS likes this.
  8. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

Last summer my custom configuration ThinkPad X1 Extreme came two weeks ahead of the original estimated delivery date. From China, despite Covid. So it indeed can vary. Both ways.

JoeS likes this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

10. daddyfish

, ah it has LTE that explains the price :rolleyes:.
    On a more serious note, holy moly it is thinner than I thought. What they did engineering wise is amazing but I still think it needs to be lighter to be that perfect 2-1. If only someone takes the Dynabook/Toshiba Portege 2-1 laptop (13.3", <1kg) and crams a 3:2 screen in there.

JoeS likes this.