WTF, $350 Tab S6 Lite comes with standard S-pen but $600 Galaxy Chromebook 2 is USI pen optional?!?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by Shogmaster, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

bloodycape likes this.
  2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Which other devices uses the USI standard?

3. Shogmaster

I think pretty much all Chromebook/tablets switched to USI (Lenovo Chromebook Duet, HP X360 Chromebook etc..)

4. bloodycape

Last time I was at BB(which was in the before times 2020) I remember seeing a Acer or was it Asus with a stylus built in & a Dell that was using AES as there was a wacom AES pen next to it. Interesting they went with USI, is that something Google wants or they just did it for cost reasons?

5. Shogmaster

My guess is that USI don't charge any licensing fees for using the protocol. Or if it does, it's much less than AES or MPP. It's basically bottom of barrel cost solution for including pen capability, especially if you make the pen optional purchase.

Tams likes this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

USI, is the "blessed" spec for pens on chromebooks going foward per Google

7. bloodycape

That be interesting to see if Google's next chromebook will using AES or USI. Also, with regards to Samsung, don't they have shares in Wacom? Wouldn't their fee be lower to use EMR or even AES?

8. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

If all chromebooks switch to the USI active capacitive pen scheme, which is the standard for note taking, it means that I will not buy any chromebooks. In 2020, the painting application of chromebook will add clip studio paint, krita and superdisplay, but Google will switch to the stylus scheme which is not satisfactory to artists. I can't install chrome book into windows any more to get a cost-effective wacom EMR device.
    It's normal for Chrome OS to reject the palm of its hand, but it doesn't display the hovering cursor. Touch will be turned off when it is close to one centimeter of the screen, and the button on the pen is only useful in the browser.

9. Shogmaster

EMR requires two physical digitizers (pen and touch) where as AES, MPP and even Apple Pencil's only requires one that does both, so for Samsung, it would be savings on the BOM to use USI, especially when the pen is optional purchase.

bloodycape likes this.
  10. bloodycape