WTB: Small ultraportable for use as "CarPC"

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by nfwolfpryde, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saetia

saetia Pen Pal - Newbie

For a long time now, I've wanted to do a trial run of sorts with an inexpensive, touch-screen small PC (like the Fujitsu Stylistic LT series) installed in my car. I was sniped on a kickass eBay auction (6873171946). I think that something in that hardware and price range would be an ideal place to start.

Does anyone have something like this for sale? I'd be interested to hear from you. Also, I posted a Toshiba M200 here last week. It's still available, and I'd be glad to do a trade/trade+cash scenario.

Thanks in advance for all replies! :p

2. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

My recommendation? Don't get a full PC for this. If it's a permenant car fixture, I don't see you doing things like video editing, playing big games, encoding videos, etc. My recommendation is to go for a mini-ITX system like a Via Eden system with a small touch screen monitor mounted on your dash. You can then have it run off your car battery, turn on-off with your car, and even tune/maintain your engine with it. Check out
    http://www.mini-box.com/site/index.html for some parts. The hardest part is the power wiring obviously, but there are some easy(er) solutions now.

Just my 2 cents.