WTB:Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by Worzyl, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone have a Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock that they are no longer using?
    Thanks.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm thinking your best bet is eBay. That's where mine went when I decided to upgrade to a GTX1070 eGPU.

3. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks.

I have been checking on ebay for the past few days and one has just come up. There are also quite a lot of bids and the price seems rather high to.

Unfortunately it seems that it doesn't ship to the UK.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I’m assuming it’s the portability of the Lenovo Graphics dock that you need?The only other small frame eGPU that I’m aware of is Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck, but that will be just as hard, if not more difficult to obtain I’d imagine. I have to admit, I really thought by now with Thunderbolt 3’s more widescale adoption, we would have had more small frame eGPU options, as opposed to the the larger enclosure style, but alas.

there was one promising one I saw on Kickstarter a while back....it was called the Ex Core. And it also had a GTX 1050, but sadly like a lot of kickstarters, it became nothing but vaporware. They ended up getting kicked off Kickstarter, but allegedly it’s still under development. Kind of a pity cause I did love the form factor.
    https://exklim.com

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  5. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes - you are correct in that it is the portability that I need, in case I need the extra gpu when having elements that would benefit from this when animating 3D. What I like about the Lenovo Graphics dock is that it also comes with an ethernet port too, which means less dongles needed.

I saw the Ex Core a few days back too, but nothing has come of it.
    I too am surprised at the lack of portable egpu options. It's odd that Lenovo stopped creating this device and I do wonder if the reason, was that people could by any underpowered laptop brand and use the dock to bump up the gpu, instead of using that money to instead, invest in their own laptop.

6. darkmagistric

I’d imagine they stopped making it most likely because it probably didn’t sell well. eGPUs mostly would benefit gamers, video editors, 3-d animators....etc.....but not so much the general Microsoft office user who’s needs are typically met by integrated graphics options, and by far and wide that’s more of who Lenovo targets. There’s also the fact the the 1050 isn’t that strong of a GPU, which probably didn’t help sales. Even a few years ago it was relatively low/mid range. I’d imagine it was the form factor that limited it to the 1050. But if I had a wish list, I would love an update, ideally win a RTX 2080 Mobile. If they can cram that GPU into a laptop, they should be able to make a small form factor eGPU with it. Maybe one day

JoeS likes this.
  7. JoeS

Yeah exactly, I got it to give VR a shot, and once I realized I really enjoyed hiking around in Skyrim VR I decided it was time for a 1070 :)

8. darkmagistric

did you know at the time that the 1050 wasn’t meant for VR? 1060 was the bare minimum. My nephews computer had a 1050 and I upgraded him to a 1060.....the performance difference was night and day.

JoeS likes this.
  9. JoeS

Haha, I did, but I was curious about VR and understood that some things ran OK on a 1050. I got the Thunderbolt graphics dock during some kind of freak sale, brand new for $280 on Lenovo.com. At that price, I thought I might as well give it a go. Worth it, because even with that modest performance I really enjoyed Skyrim on basic settings. Sold it six months later for basically the same amount that I paid Lenovo, not a bad deal! :)

darkmagistric likes this.