WTB: Fujitsu T731 or T901

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by rcxAsh, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

oops! you wrote while I wrote, and I see I forgot you only suggested B&H to me, but ordered from Ebay yourself.
    I imagine my caution still stands in your situation though, as you probably ordered from a computer vendor from the states on Ebay... I'm gonna call Fujitsu again tomorrow to see if I can get a really straight answer about warranties especially when coming from the States and when coming from potentially "unauthorized vendors" too.

2. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

That's a good point - I had not thought about warranty (since I was buying off of eBay, I wasn't expecting a valid warranty anyway).

But definitely if you're buying brand new from an online vendor, it's a good question to ask.

I sometimes wish that Fujitsu made their computers more accessible.

The thing about Fujitsu in Canada though is that I thought that the warranty service typically isn't performed by Fujitsu themselves? So perhaps you might want to also try calling your local authorized service provider to see if they would honour the warranty from the US. And for all you know, different service providers might do things differently.

3. stoneseeker

with returns in canada, at least from speaking with customer service the other day, I think you deal with Fujitsu directly the whole time, and you send it in to Mississauga. I never got a straight forward answer about on-site warranty in canada though. I suspect we don't have it in most cities.

4. rcxAsh

My T901 arrived today! It shipped via FedEx and I was charged 5% GST (Alberta) and a $10 FedEx fee. That's very reasonable.

The unit looks pretty much brand new. It has that brand new electronics smell to it too.

But!!! It didn't turn out to be the configuration with the NVS 4200m. It's the model that's $100 cheaper than the NVS 4200m version on Fujitsu America's store.

I sent a message to the eBay seller to inform him... but I'm thinking that I might just keep it. I think he mixed up the listings, because he had two T901's listed. One was more expensive and was the non-nVidia version. One was cheaper, and was the nVidia version. So it didn't make sense to me at the time. I ordered the cheaper one.

I only paid $850 for it plus shipping, and it literally looks and feels brand new so I can't really complain. Currently making a disk image of the hard drive before I go through the Windows setup...

Does Fujitsu not bundle recovery DVD's with their notebooks anymore?

So excited to use the multi-touch screen though. I have an old P1510D and love using my finger with it when compared to my T4010D (but love the Wacom digitizer on the T4010D). Now I get the best of both worlds.

5. rcxAsh

Awesome! I called up the seller (Blinq) and they offered me a partial refund on the machine since they no longer have the correct model. They said they would credit me back $200. :D Now just to wait for their confirmation of the refund...

6. stoneseeker

That's good, cause I would consider claiming it had the NVS4200m a very BIG screw up on their part... pretty important factor that would be well worth finding IMO. But its good your happy with it. Congrats on finding such a good deal!
    recovery disks are only included if you opt an extra $5 for them when customizing. I don't think the pre-built units come with them anymore. and definitely not a refurb... kinda lame I know.

7. rcxAsh

I suppose it's all about cost savings... My T4010D came with a huge stack of CD's and DVD's, and to be honest, I've only used maybe about 2 of them. With the T901, though, I did just notice that there is a pamphlet that came in the Fujitsu accessory box that describes how to make the recovery DVD's yourself once you've booted up the machine. So perhaps that'll be what I'm looking for.

Also, I notice that your signature says you ordered the T902! Don't forget to register for your discounted Windows 8 upgrade at Windows Upgrade Offer - Landing Page

Only $15 for the upgrade when it comes out - not bad. It seemed to accept my registration as well.

8. stoneseeker

Thanks! Will do.
    I'm sure I'll figure it out, but what does it ask for? Do I have to register my windows 7 first, and then just log in or something? I don't think I've ever registered an OS in my life! lol

9. rcxAsh

I was actually surprised how little it asked for!

Mainly just:
    - Name
    - Email
    - Phone Number
    - Date you bought your computer
    - Place you bought your computer
    - Brand of your computer
    - Model of your computer

I think you're supposed to agree to only use the upgrade on the computer you indicate though. It's also only an upgrade.

One of the reasons why I chose the T901 was because of the dual-digitizer. I heard that touch is supposed to be a big part of Windows 8? Hopefully the T901 will run it ok...

I remember trying Windows Vista and then Windows 7 on my T4010D when they first came out. Used them for a while but gave up each time and went back to XP.

10. stoneseeker

Will the upgrade cause me to have to re-install programs and shuffle files over, etc? Also, I wonder if its possible to upgrade to a dual-boot scenario... I am just worried some of the programs I run for work would not yet be fully compatible with a new OS, but would love to sample it in a dual boot mode!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.