WTB: Fujitsu T731 or T901

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by rcxAsh, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

Looking to buy a T731 or a T901. Preference would be for a Core i5 model at least and with dual digitizer if possible.

But feel free to contact me anyway if you are looking to sell!

I am looking to replace my old T4010D :)

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

A T901 is $1,300 BRAND NEW at Newegg.com right now! I imagine the T731 is even cheaper. Thats crazy cheap for new!
    Also check the Fujitsu Ebay store, as refurbished units also go on sale regularly for even cheaper.

3. rcxAsh

Thanks for the tips! Unfortunately, however, I am in Canada and Newegg.com doesn't ship here, and Newegg.ca is virtually a different store altogether :(

4. stoneseeker

ahh, I feel your pain. I too, am waiting on a Newegg.ca deal for the T902. :( hurry uuuuuup!

However, there are still some i3 - T731 brand new for $1249 on Newegg.CA ! Not quite as rad a deal as the newegg.COM, but worth considering!

5. stoneseeker

also, try checking Ebay, but make sure to expand the search results to "international sellers" but that sell to Canada. You'll get waaaay more results that way. also, try misspelling Fujitsu and such, sometimes you can find weird ones that noone has seen cause it was misspelled!

6. rcxAsh

The prices on the Core i3 versions of the T731 are indeed quite affordable - but how do you think it compares to the Core i5 version?

Either will be a huge step up from my current Pentium M, but I fear it will be like buying a Celeron versus a Pentium back in the day... haha!

7. rcxAsh

Ahh I found a T901 on eBay for under $1000 and decided to pull the trigger on that. Core i5 with nVidia option as well, which is a bonus.

Also for the Canadians out there, I found that bhphotovideo.com also ships to Canada and they sell US-spec models (I've found that Fujitsu Canada's configurations aren't exactly the same as Fujitsu America's, and sometimes are spec'd worse at higher prices). It seems they deal regularly enough with Canadians that they have an option to take care of the customs fees up front, which is nice.

They have some T731's there too - a i3 for around $1000, and I think the i5 is only a couple hundred more. I would have likely bought from there if anything else (especially when compared to Fujitsu Canada's prices).

8. stoneseeker

thanks for the tip! Please, let us know if you in fact have no trouble with additional fees (brokerage, additional HST, etc) it would be nice to know if it actually is ALL the fees up front.
    Looking forward to hearing your experience with it!

9. rcxAsh

I actually ended up buying from eBay, so I most likely will encounter fees when it is delivered.

bhphotovideo.com shouldn't though, because you need to pay HST/GST upfront depending on what province you are shipping to. They have notes on their website about shipping to Canada last I checked.

My experience in the past in shipping from US to Canada is that broker fees are usually highest with couriers such as UPS, which employ a broker to clear customs faster. So you not only pay the tax, but you pay a high brokerage fee.

Usually if I know that the sender is using UPS, I will actually request them to use USPS (United States Postal Service) instead. This way, it takes longer at customs because it is handed over to Canada Post, but then when Canada Post delivers it, you just end up paying the HST/GST depending on your province, and then maybe a few dollars for the processing fee. The longer wait is often worth the cheaper price...

10. stoneseeker

So I went on a price hunt to see which other US suppliers may have a good price on a T902 and whether they would ship to Canada as well. I encountered a reasonable price or two, but I also saw this:

*Forwarding an item with international restrictions to destinations outside of the United States will void the manufacturer's warranty.*

I would call Fujitsu and double check if your 3 years manufacturers will still be valid for you in this case, cause that seems rather important to me. I called Fujitsu once and asked the customer sales rep that exact question, who said, "oh yeah, that's fine, your still covered" but I am not convinced. My buddy called Sony and asked them if he bought a PS3 in the States and brought it back over if the 1 year warranty would still be good, and they said (very reassuringly) that he would be fine, and that the warranty would stand. Months later, he called in again for a small issue, and the staff on the phone at Sony this time told him that the warranty wouldn't stand outside the country of purchase!! So I am skeptical of random sales agents "representing" Fujitsu and just giving me a quick answer.

Maybe stage a warranty call, and tell them you need to send your unit in for repairs, and then tell them you ordered from the States and see what they say... trick 'em into the truth!

Hope I'm not scaring you, I just think its important to know if your T901 is covered still.

Good choice though, that thing should be a beast of a machine with the dedicated GPU!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.