WTB Convertible Tablet PC w/o 360

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Segapuppy, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Segapuppy

Segapuppy Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an HP4400 swivel screen with monitor-stored stylus. The tldr is I want this with modern specs.

I have looked to replace this twice, and failed both times. The most recent was in 2016 when I ended up with the iPad Pro - which is an amazing device with a fantastic pen and completely unusable. The only thing I can do with it is drawn notes because it is a nightmare for file transfer and cannot have any full-OS programs. Plus sandboxing.

No to the 360 folding laptops - exposed keys are way too many kinds of stupid, and no “slightly list up lid for ctrl+z”. Detachable is okay but my preferred is swivel. I’d like light weight but function trumps all else.

I want to be able to do handwriting, drawing, and typing, as well has have usb ports, sd card reader highly preferred, stylus (original iPad pro lacks a holder or magnet so the pencil is not always handy), and trackpad. I want something with specs high enough that in 2-3 years I m not running into “it cannot do x, and y doesn’t work, and z looks neat but . . . “

From my previous attempts and looking recently it looks like excluding the 360 laptops, I am left with fujitsus? The specs on those seem outdated - like most are 4gb of RAM. Pretty sure 8gb is low end now?

Lifebook T939
    Stylistic Q739

Am I missing some? Are these likely the best for me?

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    I would HIGHLY prefer under $1k but up to $2k if necessary.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    YES

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Swivel screen is preferred, detachable is okay, needs stylus touch screen but finger touch is neutral.
    NO **** OS with no usability (I rag on the iPad, it is great but iOS makes it worthless. It could do so much if it wasn’t given a **** OS.)

! If it needs the kickstand to be in laptop mode it won’t work for me.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • Above 12-inches
    I like portable, but my old 10.1” netbook is too small.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    U.S.of A.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    none

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    More the better, but if it is a brick that isn’t portable anyway. 4+?

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Internets, multiple browsers with 100+ tabs (I know I have a problem)
    Drawing, handwriting
    Watching videos, photo management, will likely ereader it too
    Would play games if it can but I ought to build a new tower for that. CAD?

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    NO MOBILE
    It have to be real and usable. I could probably be fine with Linux. MacOS is not utterly out but hard no on iOS, Android, ChromeOS.
    Preferred: Win and Lin dual

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    OpenOffice.Org
    Brave
    Vivaldi
    AutoCAD if possible, some electronics sims
    GIMP
    Wow it is hard after being constrained for so long. Basically I want a few years before I try to do something and cannot.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Internet constraints right now have killed this, but someone did highly recommend Disco Elisium and with a laptop I could do internets elsewhere. Gaming ability is a strong pro, but not a hard requirement. I would play games if I could.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No? Oh, like hmdi out? hmm that would be nice actually, but I would not use it often.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    I want photos and videos to look nice? iPad hardware might have spoiled me here.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes, not a hard req but rather important.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

YES
    Probably
    any

I like that the Apple Pencil can do the graphite-pencil-on-its-side trick, but with only one program which can actually use it (in which I have had things often not save) it has not gotten much use. Preferred, not required.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    I can probably be good with 128gb and using external storages, but this is probably low now these days.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    USB = 3+
    SD Card Slot preferred
    HDMI would be need but not required

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    wifi card
    bluetooth
    3+ usb ports
    Is it too much to ask for something which can be hubbed to two or 3 external monitors?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    pntscrn keyboard button is nice
    arrow keys are a must
    a disk drive would be nice

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Administrator Super Moderator

The Fujitsu T939 is a good option. It has the relatively recent 8th generation Intel Core chips.

For your usage, I'd suggest no less than 16GB of RAM.

Charles

Marty likes this.
  3. Segapuppy

Segapuppy Pen Pal - Newbie

I was looking around for that for pricing/refurbished options and found it was not offered many places. B&H had it lists as discontinued, NewEgg did not have the i7, and Amazon was not looking much better. It looks like the only option is to buy from Fujitsu directly? This seems odd to me, for something with a fairly modern cpu.

Will I have future issues with 16gb being the max RAM these can hold?

PS
    i5 or i7?

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Administrator Super Moderator

Fujitsu's T939 data sheet indicates it has one So-DIMM slot. It should be able to accept a 32GB module, although Fujitsu's specs say only 16GB. I'd think 16GB would be fine for the time being. It's certainly more affordable, as the 32GB modules are more than twice as expensive. You're best off buying your RAM aftermarket to save some money. Same with storage, though I would suggest getting the PCIe SSD from the factory instead of SATA because your upgrade options will be better. Keep the original parts in case you need to send the notebook in for service.

The 15-watt, 8th generation Core i5 and i7 chips are very similar; they all have four cores and eight threads. The Core i7 may feel a little more responsive due to its higher boost clocks, but I'm not sure it'd be noticeable. Fujitsu wants $150 to go from the Core i5-8265U to the Core i7-8565U on customizable T939s, that's a little steep.

Charles

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I hate to rain on this parade - it is a great looking device - but the only display options are -ycch - 1366X768!:eek: You mentioned being spoiled by iPad - I don't think this will be acceptable to you. Sad that they made this rather unfortunate choice on an otherwise combination throwback/modern TPC.

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

1080p are available. They should just get rid of 768p option lol