Writing tablet for teaching math

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by metades, Jul 1, 2020.

1. metades

metades Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I've never looked into tablets before and I'm really confused about this. I'm not sure if this device exists, maybe I just don't know its proper name.

I want to buy a tablet to help my mother to give online math classes, during this pandemic. She just needs to write something by hand and it should be automatically mirrored on her computer, where she'll be sharing the screen with Google Meet.

But apparently, all the writing tablets capable of PC mirroring are just a black screen where you can't see what you are writing. But she needs to see what's she's writing.

I need something very simple like Xiaomi Mijia LCD Writing Tablet, but with ability to mirror the writing to PC. Does such thing exist? Or do I need to buy one of those expensive tablets with complete O.S. functionalities?

Thanks

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    U$400
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes
    3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    I don't know
    4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Any
    5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Brazil
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No
    7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Probably none if it's connected to USB
    8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Teaching math writing equations
    9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows
    10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Any
    11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No
    12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    no
    2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    no
    3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    Yes

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    I don't need any storage
    2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    I guess USB to connect to my computer

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    Explained at the beginning
    2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Explained at the beginning

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...apparently, all the writing tablets capable of PC mirroring are just a black screen where you can't see what you are writing. But she needs to see what's she writing...>>

@metades could use some help...

3. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the best way is to buy a (refurbished) Surface Go / Pro device and a Surface Pen (or the budget way a cheap tablet and a microfiber stylus) and let your mother use the Pen/Stylus with Microsoft OneNote (free program) to write here formula's etc. She could have also OneNote open on her pc and it should automatically sync between the 2 devices.
    Alternatively, she could use something else than OneNote as long as it supports syncing.

Another possible option is to just let your mother use Google meet on the Windows tablet so sync support of the software/program is not required.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    metades and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

From what I can understand, your mother already have a pc and need some thing that can:

1) make writing that can be show on that PC (AKA graphic tablet)
    2) what is written should be shown on the writing device as well (monitor)

to meet both 1) and 2) what you need should be a Cintiq type of device.

Since you only need a small screen like that xiaomi drawing board and only for writing , getting a cheap 12” drawing monitor like the 239$ Gaomon PD1161 or the 249$ XP-Pen artist 12 should be just right.

Or your full budget could get a 13.3” 399$ Wacom one but that is a bit overkill if you don’t do art.

Be aware that all of the devices I mentioned above are not stand alone device, but are monitors that need to be connected to a computer via cables. Make sure your mother’s pc have HDMI port and a free USB port. The cable should be long enough, and the monitor should be light enough so she can hold it in her hand / lap about one meter away from the pc. Also the monitor will mirror everything on the PC so she need to use a writing app like one note do write on during teaching.

If you don’t know how drawing monitor works, the setup should be like this:
    [​IMG]
    the device at the bottom is the monitor your mother would be writing on.

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

An eBay Surface product with pen (like this one for example https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Microsoft-S...121256?hash=item4b7b79b628:g:geoAAOSw0oFe4P2d ) and OBS Studio (which is free and open source) would do the trick. That could be done for around $400.

OBS (Open Broadcast Studio) has an option to do a screen capture as a video feed, (so whatever drawing program you're using), and then output it as a virtual webcam, which is then compatible with things like Zoom. I've used that several times to good effect.

An even less expensive option would be to use an old...

Whoa. I just did a check on eBay. Typically, you used to be able to find old Tablet PCs which can run Windows 7 for under $100, (like the HP Elitebook 2760p.)

But now there just aren't too many of them left out there! -And the ones which you can get are quite expensive.

Looks like we're in a new age.

Another more modern pen computer which is affordable is the Chromebook, but I don't know if it would work with OBS.

EDIT ****************

The Fujitsu Lifebook T734 is still common and affordable as a previous gen Tablet PC (circa 2014) which could do the trick: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fujitsu-Lif...480775?hash=item421b935087:g:XJIAAOSwW1Fe-P0I

metades, WillAdams and daddyfish like this.
  6. metades

metades Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

I just realised that the main problem is the prices in my country. All the cheap devices that you guys mentioned are sold here at least 10x more expensive and when I was researching about tablets I overlooked them thinking that they were not worth the money.

I'll try again to find good prices on your suggestions, if I can't find any I'll probably end up buying a simple pen tablet with no display. They are ok but the surface really could have something that leaves a trail when you write, like a magic slate.

Anyway, I appreciate all the help!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...They are ok but the surface really could have something that leaves a trail when you write, like a magic slate...>>

@metades : Historically, there have been products that allow a paper "overlay" on the graphics screen so that you can see what you are writing / drawing. A sort of "poor man's active screen." I don't know if any of these products are still available or would permit tethering to your Mom's computer, but that might be another option if you can find any of them...

8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, another idea: wouldn't it actually be good enough if your mom just writes the formula's on pape or on a whiteboard and with a (phone) camera pointed on it so she can mirror it to Google meet? Also she could use something like Office Lens to convert letters/number in images to text in cases where it is really needed.
    This should by be the cheapest solution so far I think.