writing experience on T4220 or T2010

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Concentrate, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raman

raman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi.

How does it feel to write on Fujitsu machines? How much does it alter your handwriting, discomfort to write for long? Would you feel comfortable writing an essay on it, as opposed to writing on paper? Please say as much as you find relevant.

I ask because I had poor writing experience on a Fujitsu some years back and a very good experience with a thinkpad x41 recently. However the other problems with Lenovo x61 makes me resist buying it. I want to get this writing information clear with regard to these machines. Thanks.

raman

2. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

Writing on the T2010 looks and feels very nice. It alters your handwriting and makes it a little prettier I think. The screen feels like paper, not glass with the included protector applied (not gonna risk damaging the screen).

For essay's, I definitely would not write it out on paper or on the tablet... that's what the keyboard is there for. I mean, writing is so slow compared to typing. The handwriting recognition thing is extremely good in vista. My friends writing is so bad, but it recognizes the words very well.

I guess if you really want to write on it, a couple of sentences would be fine, but not an essay.

PS. some people have problems calibrating the screen (I'm not one of them) so writing will be a horrible experience for you if you get a lemon

3. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, I frequently write notes in lectures, and summary notes, on my T4210 - I've almost forgotten what paper feels like! Haven't written any essays in the tablet, but that's because i haven't written any essays at all, I don't think it would be a problem if it were required.

I kind of prefer writing on a tablet actually; in addition to ink manipulativity (is there such a word?), it's also smoother and requires less force/pressure. You also never run out of ink or get light ink, something that occurs quite often with the ballpoint pens I use.

4. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

T2010: Without the screen protectors it feels like glass, with the supplied screen protectors it feels like paper, but they decrease the screen quality. So you should search for a better alternative screen protector.

I write all my readings in the university on my tablet down. At the beginning my handwriting was worse than on paper, but now, I think, it looks the same.

There are only a few problems with tablets, which is, in my opinion, manufacture independent.
    - Tablets are higher than a writing pad. Over a long time, it get's sometimes uncomfortable to write, because your writing arm is always a good piece higher than the other. So you always have a strange position, a bit tilted.
    - There is no software to write with which is is able to replace a writing pad. OneNote is a good software, with it it's easy to organize my courses or whatever, but it isn't able to create a usable print out and has many other disadvantages.
    - Writing recognition is good, but if you want to write a whole essay and think, that the writing recognition converts it to plain text, then you're on the wrong side. You are times faster if you write a whole essay on a writing pad, but you are even faster and it's even better if you write your essay with the keyboard. Writing recognition is like speach recognition. Nice but still useless ;) You will have to correct a lot of things. Yeah, I use XP, but I don't think that Vista is that much better ;)

5. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

It is much better.

6. raman

raman Pen Pal - Newbie

First thanks to all who replied. Your explanations are useful and I've basically moved into the Fujitsu market.

On this point that Pibach has made, a general question: is it possible to upgrade the OS from XP to Vista? Is this simply a software change that we can buy from Microsoft, and does anyone know how much will that cost (the basic Vista package)?

Also is there a thread in these forums that discusses the special features of Vista? Thanks.

raman

7. raman

raman Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry. Had skipped the long "Sticky" on this topic. Will check that.

raman

8. Frank

Ok, small test ;)
    I wrote a small text in OneNote, attached the file to the post, and converted it to plain text under Windows XP. It would be nice, if someone could convert it under Windows Vista and post the result here ;)
    Here is the XP result ;)
    [​IMG]

9. GandhiM

GandhiM Pen Pal - Newbie

From Vista

OneNote 2007:
    This is a small and simple example to
    test the difference between Windows Vista
    and XP. (don't think that Vista will
    convert the handwriting that mud better,
    but I'll see if
    To show how senseless handwriting recognition
    •'s, here are a few examples:
    Kathi is chapter ^
    7.1. oh, a subchapter
    1.1. o helve
    1.2 impossible
    Ano chance
    Do you want a bit math ¥
    ff) = art be to
    fife]: 2ax ab

bin far) = ?
    = n is
    or a little geek?
    of 90°, 3--22; go: as
    A quote: " Hello World", end

Window's Journal (No editing):
    This is a small and simple example to
    test the difference between Windows Vista
    and XP. / don't think that Vista will
    convert the handwriting that mud better,
    but see see if
    To show how senseless handwriting recognition
    is, here are a few examples:
    Kathi is chapter ^
    7.1. oh, a subchapter
    1.1.o here
    1.2 impossible
    ? no chance
    Do you want a bit math ?
    far) = art be to
    + if) tax ab
    him far) x ?
    525 s
    or a little geek?
    0=90; 3--22; go: as
    A quote: "Hello World", end

10. Frank

Thank you very very much.
    Hehe, Vista makes almost the same mistakes XP does. I can't see any improvement.

But ok, everybody says Vista is trainable, so it would be interesting if someone, who uses Vista and trained the writing recognition, could write a short text in OneNote, convert it to text and post the result with the OneNote file, so that someone with XP can convert it, too. Maybe then Vista is better ;)

But guys, I have no hope ^^ (I know why I took XP and not Vista :D)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.