Write into outlook calender

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Dean, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean

Dean Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    I'm :confused: searching :confused: for the best tablet to make notes to a calender and synchronise with my outlook on all other PC's.
    With or without stylus, as long as my wife;) can handle the screen easily. My wife does not want to type, but just write on the screen!!!
    I want to synchronize with the outlook calender from home and work. I dont have an exchange server and do not want to synchronize my email.
    The tablet must connect trough WIFI (N) to my home network and access point for internet when I'm in hotels. I do not need 3GB right now.

Whitch pad has this option?
    General Questions.

1. What is your budget? IPAD 2 budget if neccessary.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Just a touch screen pad Ipad 2 size and layout.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    •Compact ~ 10"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    Netherlands

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Nope

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    A lot!

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    Notetaking to a calender and synchronise with outlook calender on al other PC's and mobiles. Email, web surfing and photo managing are the other tasks we will use.

9. Do you have an OS preference? Windows because of compatibility, but as long it can synchronise with outlook 2007 calender it doesn't matter witch OS.
    10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Word,Excel, photo editing, but mainly internet and writing directly to the screen for making appointments in a calender.

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Maybe but thats not the main goal, especially not if the price is much higher.

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?
    •WXGA - 1280x768

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
    yes, but if the price is right

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte? Matte i think. Are there good arguments not to?

4. Do you require Touch? Writing on screen with fingers and stylus.
    5. Do you require a Pen? Not neccessary

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    Not important as long as the reaction time is good. I want to be able to connect to a NAS, fromwhere I'll manage al files.

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?
    No

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)? No

2. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

There's something you could tell people to help recommending something.
    Is there just one PC with Outlook 2007, or is there an Exchange Server in the background?
    Do you need syncing over some wireless connection or is it enough if it works via wired (USB, likely) sync?

3. Dean

Dean Pen Pal - Newbie

No I want to synchronize with the outlook calender from home and work. I dont have an exchange server and do not want to synchronize my email.
    The tablet must connect trough WIFI (N) to my home network and access point for internet when I'm in hotels. I do not need 3GB right now.

Sorry, the T4210 and the TC4400 are laptops to me, no tablet. But maybe my English has to be updated, I think you call it a slate In europe its a tablet.

4. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

I use the business class of Google exchange - I forget what they call it. It is $50 a year per person, but that is a really inexpensive managed exchange service. I keep my desktop, two TPC's and iPhone synced with calendar and contacts. I also use the email sync, but you don't have too.

If not this solution then there are some other aftermarket solutions but they are just as expensive or more so and less reliable. Outlook does not natively provide sync though they should considering they want to be so involved in "the cloud".

As for inking in Outlook, the only way is with the TIP (tablet input panel). You click on a field, it pops out and you write on it. Then the ink (your writing) is converted to text.

5. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

That's not correct.
    You do have to use text for most header fields, but you can ink in the body field of nearly everything.

6. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

The only area you can ink in on contacts, tasks or calendar is notes. All other fields are done with the TIP. You can ink an email and also a note in tasks.

If by the body field you mean notes, fine you can ink yourself a note or an email. But, you say most header fields need text which implies some don't. Please give examples of these fields that I have never found. Have you found areas other than notes and email for ink? If so, again please give some examples.

There use to be a free program that interfaced with Outlook and that allowed you to ink all the fields directly, but that is no longer maintained.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.