Write Anywhere on the Screen and Erase With the Top of the Pen

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by Wodd, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Wodd

Wodd Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, this is Wodd from awhile back. I have a question. Is there a handwriting recognition package that allows me to both write anywhere on the screen (like previous versions of Tablet PC Input Panel, EverNote's ritePen application, and Vision Objects' MyScript Stylus application (Description - MyScript Stylus - Text Input Applications - MyScript - Vision Objects)), but also allows using the top of the pen to erase ink? If the feature in Tablet PC Input Panel is/was the only option, is there a way to use the old version? Perhaps it can be done with registry editing.

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

microsoft inkdesktop 2.0 is exactly what you need. I had it installed on my Asus EP121 windows 7. I think you can find it if you search this forum. Someone was kind enough to hack it to work on Win 7

3. Wodd

Wodd Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah
    Thank you for the information. Something odd though: I thought that I had read that Microsoft Ink Desktop allows writing on the desktop only and that the ink cannot be inserted into text fields. I could be wrong on that, though.

4. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Then you need "OneNote"
    Inkdesktop will save as jpeg.

5. Wodd

Wodd Pen Pal - Newbie

OneNote does not allow writing ink and inserting it into other applications like Tablet PC Input Panel does. It is an [excellent] application for taking notes like someone would do in a subject notebook. RitePen and MyScript Stylus allow using the entire screen like Tablet PC Input Panel, but neither application allows erasing with the top of the pen. Perhaps Tablet PC Input Panel's Write Anywhere feature didn't either, though. If that is the case, then I might be out of luck (in which case, it might behoove me to use MyScript Stylus) (although its lack of a tab gesture is inconvenient).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  6. freewilly

freewilly Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried installing Microsoft Ink Desktop on my 2740p running Win7 64 and.. no go. Popup window tells me it's only for Vista and terminates the installer. Tried compatibility mode, but no-go. Bummer.

7. nnthemperor

Sorry Wodd, I misread your post.
    Don't know of any program that does that.

8. nnthemperor

Freewilly that's because you were trying to install the wrong version. If you search this forum, you'll find the thread and the link to the modified exe file. Hoping its still here somewhere.

9. Wodd

Wodd Pen Pal - Newbie

That is located here. In regard to a software package with the features that I am looking for, thank you all for trying. There might not be a package that allows writing anywhere on the screen like with old versions of Tablet PC Input Panel, ritePen, and MyScript Stylus that also allows erasing with the top of the pen (at least currently). Perhaps, with enough requests, Microsoft will re-implement it into Tablet PC Imput Panel.

10. freewilly

I tried both the Microsoft msi installer and the 64bit file from http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/software/27951-ink-desktop-windows-7-a.html ..wasn't feelin' the love. I'll download the 32bit version and see if it's any better.

update.. tried it with the 32 bit version and it worked. I then tried the 64 bit one and IT worked. Then replaced the exe as per instructions and will play around with it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  11. Wodd

Wodd Pen Pal - Newbie

Was I remembering correctly what I thought that I had read before? Ink Desktop allows writing on the desktop only and does not allow inserting the ink. What I glean from nnthemperor's post is that even it and Microsoft's Write Anywhere don't allow using the top of the pen to erase ink. In that case, perhaps there isn't currently any software that does that aside from the later versions of Tablet PC Input Panel. Earlier, I uninstalled MyScript Stylus (because its keyboard does not send keystrokes to one of my music players) and installed and uninstalled ritePen because it didn't have the option to manually insert ink. I am using Tablet PC Input Panel. :)

12. freewilly

Okay, I've played around with it for a bit. It doesn't allow for the insertion of text 'n such and basically turns your screen into a big scratchpad. Basically, it allows one to write over stuff, and erase said marks. Think of it as a VERY limited paint/sketch program that uses whatever is on the screen as a backdrop to the canvas.

13. Wodd

Wodd Pen Pal - Newbie

That is a good analogy. I think that I did use it before and it did not allow inserting what was written into documents. It makes it like an application that I used for Windows 8 that put a virtual freezer on the screen on which the user placed magnets that were already present on it or his or her own images. I think that it allowed custom notes also, but I don't remember if it did or did not do that. I don't remember the name of the application, but if you do some Web searching, you can probably find it.