WPrime and WEI Benchmarks for Tablet PCs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by e-schreiber, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claudiu83

claudiu83 Pen Pal - Newbie

yes. you are right, the Acer iconia tab W500 has a AMD C-50 CPU and HD 6250 GPU...
    But mine, wich has a manufacturing date of 15 september 2011, came with
    the C-60 processor and the HD 6290 graphics and had allready the V1.14 BIOS version. (It doesn't have a 3G card, so it is not a W501).
    Anyway, the C-60 and C-50 have the same speed of 1 GHz, but the C-60 supports turbo functionality, can boost up to 1.33 GHz for short durations when nedded.

2. Kirr

Kirr Pen Pal - Newbie

MSI Windpad 110w (Z-01): 120sec
    HP Slate 500 (Z540, OC'd): 107sec
    Acer W500 (C-60): 91sec

Atom Z540 and other Atom-based systems is slower than AMD Fusion (C-50, C-60, Z-01) in real life. And I don't hear anything to disprove it.

The only difference between AMD C-60 and Z-01 is that the first one can throttle one of two cores in corresponding situations. MSI 110w and Acer W500 are almost identical by hardware. 29 of 120 sec difference? Hmm...

Sorry, guys, but these test numbers look very strange.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My number is good.;) The Atom is overclocked to 2.25 ghz.

[​IMG]

4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I'll definitely add this tablet.

Well, all benchmarks are inherently biased. That's the nature of the beast. No matter whether they are applied to devices or people. For example, the world's fastest 100-meter runner would certainly struggle to finish a Marathon, let alone win it. Clearly, the 100-meter race is biased towards the 100-meter runner.

When we post questions about battery life and people start reporting their numbers, we don't know exactly for how long those people browsed the web. Or how large the resolution of the videos they watched was. Or how much they used their Bluetooth keyboard. Yet we eagerly await their replies because we want to have some idea of what to expect from that particular device.

The thing is, it's better to have some metric, than no metric at all. I picked WPrime primarily due to its convenience. That's a tiny program of only 2.5 Mb! And, because WPrime is self-contained, it doesn't even require installation! Beautiful! Besides, there have been reliability problems with big benchmark suites too.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. e-schreiber

So Acer has already refreshed the W500? Nice! Thanks for clearing this out! I hope an owner of a W500 with a C-50 CPU submits his/her score as well. It would be nice to have both scores.

6. e-schreiber

Notice that the Atom Z540 that beat the AMD Z-01 was over-clocked.

It's certainly possible that some people have (or will) run the benchmark under sub-optimal conditions. However, the thread is open for anyone to re-run the benchmark and submit correct scores. That's the power of crowd-sourcing. I'll do my best to keep the list updated.

7. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

By your analogy wPrime is comparing 100m runners by the length of their legs. I'm well aware that every benchmark is biased, the more it differs from your exact use case, the more. wPrime is just worse than other options, like e.g. Prime95.
    I certainly agree, though, that in-depth benchmarking with various different benchmarks and lots of resulting numbers that are hard to apply to a usecase are not more helpful for the vast majority of people. And most people wouldn't spend half a day running that tests.
    I just want to be sure that the people besides you and me alos know, that is just a very vague guideline. Something like estimating a car's topspeed frmo its bhp.

And I think it's not the case that we'd have no metric. The architecture used in TabletPCs is the same as in many other laptops and notebooks. Whether you benchmark a certain CPU in a TabletPC or in a normal laptop makes practically no difference at all, so just relying on the numerous benchmark collections works here.
    It would be different for testing the systems as a whole, but then wPrime's no option at all.

@ Kirr
    Yes, as noted before it was compared to an overclocked Atom. From all I know. By guts I would have expected the Atom to still be en par at best, but I guess that's maybe partly due to the benchmark not punishing the Atom for the lack of OOE.
    I'd also question the different results of the C-60 and the Z-01, but I am not too familiar with their internals. Chipset and memory differences could also play a role.

8. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Prime ver 2.06
    EP121 32M Result: 34.552 sec @1596.3 mhz
    1024M Result: 29 min, 41.392 sec

9. e-schreiber

List updated. Thanks, CF77! :)

10. Candanga

Candanga Pen Pal - Newbie

What did u use to OC ? The normal clock should be 1.0GHz and under which prime version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.