would you buy 500T today?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by audri5, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audri5

audri5 Pen Pal - Newbie

I really like the idea, form factor, look, and functions of the white 500t but am worried about some of the issues ive seen here and in reviews. I can get it with the keyboard for about $500. I have a samsung note 3 phone and note 8.0 tablet. The 500T would be used rarely for some minor comouter stuff and letter writting. I want it to be dependable though. So my question is, would you buy it now or is it to unreliable?

2. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

If you don't plan on using the pen at all, I would just get the Asus T100. Same design, cheaper, and better processor. If you're planning on using the pen, you might be better off waiting to see if anything is announced at MWC or Samsung's just announced Unpacked Event on the 24th.

But as far as dependability, there are some quirks and it's a bit slow for what I need it for. I like to organize my notes on the fly in class and trying to lasso in Onenote and move things around can be incredibly slow. There's also an issue for me that the touch screen stops working at random times. It seems to happen after taking notes for about an hour and a half and I have to restart the computer. The battery also drains fast when I leave it in the dock and put it to sleep. I think the screen just turns off and it doesn't actually sleep.

3. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the "Unpacked" events are for android. So there might not be anything announced there for windows, but hopefully we see something at MWC. If not, I question if Samsung is refreshing this device or not.

Whoops, meant to edit, not quote.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4

4. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought a like-new/refurbished 500T for $350 (w/keyboard) on eBay last month. I had been using a Helix but shattered the screen so I got the 500T as a replacement. So far so good. I actually like the portability better than the Helix, which is quite clunky. Of course the Helix packs a much bigger punch specs-wise, but for what I do (Internet, MS Office/PDF docs annotation), the 500T is just fine. Like the other members have said, you might want to wait and see what new stuff comes in this form factor, but if you want one now and find a nice deal, I'd say go for it.

JoeS likes this.
  5. audri5

audri5 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info. I bit the bullet and purchased the 700T. I hope it doesn't have the issues I've seen here. Couldn't help it though because it looks like when these work right they are great!

6. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

My ativ 500t is a dedicated note taking tablet. This tablet is amazing as far as note taking (Onenote) and writing papers (word) go. However, the tablet sucks when it comes to using full desktop pdf readers. Also, you can get a surface pro for about $600 or less brand new now a days. This tablet was amazing for the price when it came out, but its been awhile since then, and there are better options today.

7. gersto

gersto Pen Pal - Newbie

So did I, I had considered the 500t at first, but I wanted something a bit newer with a slot for the pen and a keyboard dock. By chance I got a lightening deal on the 700t so I jumped on it. Well worth it! I would still consider the 500t for some folks as you can get a case with bluetooth and it is still much cheaper if you know where to look.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

8. 996gt2

996gt2 Scribbler - Standard Member

The Surface Pro 64GB is $399 now, and Thinkpad Tablet 2 refurbs were going for less than $200. The 500T would have to be about $150-200 for it to be even worth considering.

9. beckyb

beckyb Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, I did just buy one last week on eBay and received it yesterday. Although underpowered, I love the battery life, and it works great for the needlework design program I use on the go.

Found one for $190, with free shipping on the day I had quadruple eBay bucks, so it was essentially $175. At that price I couldn't pass it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.