Would this work to create a palm-rejection capacitive stylus?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Mr. Boosh, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Multiple inputs in close proximity wouldn't register separately. The touch algorithms are able to achieve resolution finer than the wire grid via interpolation, but that interpolation assumes there is only one touch point. The touch sensor grid isn't fine enough to distinguish them as separate points unless they were spread very far apart which would probably result in the inability to draw except at very course resolution.

2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Best article I could find about advancements in capacitive touch: http://www.ruggedpcreview.com/mt/archives/2014/07/until_the_iphon.html

It seems like it would have to be a combination of a decent capacitive stylus and software. Would it be really difficult to implement system wide software, especially for the thousands of combinations of devices?

3. TechniSol

TechniSol Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm posting to a "dead" thread, but it occurs to me that if the issue is that gloves look dumb, perhaps it'd be easier to create a less apparent glove. Flesh colored, in appropriate shades might be the simplest solution, or just a rectangle of non conductive flexible material with three holes or a slot in it that would slip over the two or three lowest fingers of the hand and insulate it from the capacitive touchscreen perhaps lined in silicone so it sort of sticks to the hand/edge of the palm. I suppose an elastic "loop" of non conductive material would be simpler and do the same job -very abbreviated "glove". Think Brazilian bikini vs. one piece... ;-)

The idea of using up the 10 "inputs" of the touch screen seems a bit much, unless in software one might be able to ignore clusters larger than a certain diameter thereby ruling out the hand as a much larger object or cluster and only pass the much smaller point or cluster made by a stylus or finger. I.e., the driver would filter the larger cluster out and only pass along the smaller point if say a software switch were activated telling the driver that stylus input and palm rejection were desired rather than ten point touch, etc.