Would this work to create a palm-rejection capacitive stylus?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Mr. Boosh, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Didn't know exactly where to post this, but I had an idea. Of course, it's most likely already been thought of.

Right now I own a SP2 and am waiting on delivery of a VivoTab Note 8 today, so I do understand the importance of an active digitizer and love them. However, I think there's a huge market for a better capacitive stylus experience, and with all our devices, there are trade offs. So while I like the SP2 and will probably like the VTN8, there are other tablets that intrigue me. With a better capacitive stylus, I would probably deal with lack of pressure sensitivity to gain other benefits. For example, there are some cool, cheap tablets that can dual boot Windows/Android, and if I could get a workable note-taking solution, I'd spring on one immediately.

My idea: most capacitive screens are 10-point multitouch. Could a fine tipped stylus be manufactured so the touch of the stylus to the screen registers 10 points of touch? This would effectively utilize all the inputs the screen could receive and would allow you to then rest your palm on the screen.

No stupid gloves, no extra BTLE components to malfunction, not even any software hacking.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  2. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Once the ACTIVE digitizer is in range the screen stops registering touch. So as it is you can rest your Palm provided the pen is in range or touching the screen.

It takes a while to get in the habit of ensuring the pen should make contact with screen before your hand. But once you get into that rhythm, you'll never leave stray marks or random clicks with your Palm when using your pen.

You can as well turn off the touch HID from Device Manager. You just need to know which one to disable. User lblb had a tool that allowed you to turn off touch on your Win 8 machine.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

3. Mr. Boosh

Did you mean to post in another thread? Reread the title, this is about a capacitive stylus+screen, not an active digitizer like wacom/n-trig.

4. ron2k_1

I'm confused. If you already own 2 dual digitizer tablets. Why would you want to write with a paper stump or finger-replicated-Eraser tip?

If it's for the cheap factor. For notes, I've seen Thinkpad Tablet 2s for a low as 200 bucks on Amazon.

5. Mr. Boosh

Why the hell not? It's a freaking question, man.

I'll give you three reasons:

1. Teclast x98 Air II intrigues me for Windows/Android dual boot

2. The millions of people who own tablets without active digitizers who would love a better stylus experience

3. Because it's fun to come up with new ****?

6. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

^ +1. :)

7. ron2k_1

Alright. You want a straight response: IT'S IMPOSSIBLE. The digitizer will register random hex values for at least 10 diffrent HID indexes. 1 single tip = 1 hex value change for 1 particular Index. You will have to continue adding triggers to use up all available touch indexes. Or some guru like user @incrediclint can come up with a hack to use up all indexes with a single touch. But randomization will be tricky to overcome and because as soon as lift the pen then your Palm already on your screen becomes your single touch point. Which means that when you put back the pen it will not register because they're are no available indexes to utilize. But because you said "no hack", then I say it's impossible. Copiche.

Jeesh! So touchy. It's an open thread for discussion of opinions. I provided mine...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  8. Mr. Boosh

Is there a minimum physical distance between touches for the digitizer to register? Or if the stylus had multiple points aggregated in a tip, would that work?

I'm not all that knowledgeable about the tech but I think this would be cool.

9. ron2k_1

I have to agree with you that it will be cool indeed. If incrediclint has some time it'd be interesting to hear what he's got to say. He and @lblb are the most knowledgeable people in Touch/Pen HID I know of.

10. Mr. Boosh

Good point. If the pen takes up all touch inputs, when you lift the pen that would free up 10 inputs and register the palm.

But since the palm was already on the screen, would it recognize it? I'm guessing sliding your palm across the screen with natural writing movement would trigger new inputs on the digitizer.

I'm open to utilizing BTLE or something but keeping things simple is always good. In this case however, I would refuse to wear a glove, even though that's simple, because it's ****ing dumb looking lol.