Would like suggestions for a portable tablet for illustration.

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Ghostship Matt, May 30, 2021.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh, you lucky dog! That's so cool!

One of the things I've noticed about my Samsung is its reliability over time. -Which is great from a value perspective, but it means it's hard to find a rational reason to play in the upgrade sandbox.

I think a few people here would be interested in your impressions when you get it up and running. Hopefully it'll turn out to be a keeper.

Cheers, and have fun! (And if you have any problems getting it going, please ask. Helping to get art tablets running at peek coolness is a sort of hobby around here.)

Ghostship Matt likes this.
  2. Ghostship Matt

Ghostship Matt Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks man! I will definitely let you know my impressions after I get it set up. I tend to obsesses over technology/ "high dollar" purchases before I pull the trigger (for better or for worse, depending if you ask my girlfriend XD). I've been waiting for a number of years to make the jump, since I hadn't found exactly what I was looking for, so I've just been saving dough in the meantime. Great to hear about the reliability of Samsung. I typically run my tech until it's ridiculously long in the tooth (2008 Mac Pro tower being a prime example).

I do have one more question that maybe you can answer: I use the express keys on my tablet very often + keyboard shortcuts + pen-buttons. Using the new computer in tablet mode will obviously prevent me from using those. Do you or anyone on here have experience with XP-Pen or Huion controllers? I'm more interested in the Huion one (https://store.huion.com/products/mini-keydial-kd100) since it looks like it can either run wireless or wired, has more buttons, sounds like it's a little more sturdy, and isn't terribly expensive (looking at you Wacom). If I have it connected to that Samsung in tablet mode, do you know if it will it still function? Worst case, I can return it if it doesn't work, but I thought it might be a nice accessory to have to speed up my workflow/increase the amount of drawing real-estate on the screen.