Would intel 80gb ssd work on tx2500?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by koity, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mas5acre

mas5acre Pen Pal - Newbie

I plan on upgrading my favorite little computer from these specs:

My current tx2500
    2.4ghz turion X2 Ultra
    4gbs of ram
    optical lightscribe DVDRw drive
    320gb 5400rpm hdd

to

2.4ghz turion X2 Ultra
    4gbs of ram
    remove lightscribe drive and replace with adapter to allow 2nd hard drive (YES it exists saw it and bookmarked on other computer) My current 320gb hdd will be put here
    My main drive will become an intel 80gb ssd IF its compatible
    A usb slot loading DVDRW drive will be used for media purposes.

BUT is the intel 80gb ssd compatible? The ocz core series was not compatible with the tx2500. Made me happy about canceling my order cause I was sick of waiting for it.

I am removing the lightscribe drive mostly cause it has issues with itunes. I record in lossless, and I listen to it playback with skipping!!! Alcohol 120 cd images burnt with my tx2500 dvd drive work fine when mounted into itunes otherwise.

2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

There's no reason why it wouldn't be. The OCZ drive probably had issues because it was a crap drive, and stuttered so hard that Windows wouldn't even install...or at least that's the experience I've heard from others. Anyway, if you have the money to spare, go ahead and get the Intel ssd, chances are quite good that you'll be happy with it. Fwiw, I've observed that with the Intel, people seem to be having better performance with a clean install than with images.

3. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

First I figure you already know this, but your warranty would be voided with case mods. Unless you don't make any physical case changes and can return it to factory before RMA'ing it.

As for the SSD, I don't know the spec's of your current HD but would guess it's a 2.5 SATA - thats what you would need in an SSD. If it is SATA2, then you need that spec of SSD. Intel sounds best to me also.

You will go from very bad battery life to almost none. Just about the time you get booted up and using it will say low battery.

The HD to optical spot. Depends on the fit, how it gets mounted and the type of interface the optical drive uses. You found an adapter - and it fits - give it a shot.

The only other problem I could see is proprietary BIOS checking where it wants a certain part only and will abort on boot. Some have run into this with processor changes, network, and WAN cards.

Good luck, take pictures too as I am sure others will want to follow.

4. Jor-dan

Jor-dan Tablet-Loving Student

I've heard OCZ had major stuttering issues... a lot of SSDs have had them... there are a ton of compatability issues. The motherboard is designed to access it like a hard drive, but it doesn't work like a harddrive. Gotta make sure you get the right kind... and I still don't know how to determine that!

I'm going to buy an SSD hopefully in a couple months, see what happens.

5. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

What makes you say this? Good battery life is finally coming in some of the lastest batch of ssds, including the Intel ssd. Although if another regular hard drive is put in the modular bay, then yes, battery life will be less than it was before.

6. ScubaX

Because he is using both the SSD and the original HD in the optical drive space.
    With just a SSD for HD space, I would not have said that.

7. newsposter

newsposter E295C + a pile of gadgets

Samsung drives......

8. IMNOTDRPHIL

IMNOTDRPHIL Pen Pal - Newbie

The Intel SSDs are 2.5" SATA SSDs just like hard drives in any modern tablet. It should just be a drop-in replacement that takes five minutes to accomplish.

@ScubaX: I have not encountered any issues with any notebooks I have worked on refusing to boot if a different WLAN card is inserted, although swapping in a CPU not supported by the BIOS will result in the computer not POSTing. There are some very high-dollar, specialized *programs* that tie themselves to the network card MAC addresses in a way to prevent unauthorized installation. But I've never heard about the computer failing to POST.

9. ScubaX

I read about it either on this site or GBM a couple times.

10. jsnorman

jsnorman Chicago Lawyer

1) You cannot use any WLAN card that is not in the BIOS. I have tried the Intel 5100 and it does not work.

2) As for OP's original plan, that "universal" cd to hard drive converter won't work in the tx2500z. I bought it and tried. You need to replace the main HD (not a big deal at all - very easy).

3) Get the Intel or Samsung SSD. Both work great.

I have had the following in my tx2500z in chron order: SuperTalent MX 120GB SSD, OCZ 128GB SSD (really 120GB like supertalent, but was fraudulently advertised), Intel x25-M 80gb, Intel X25-M 160gb, Samsung 256gb (current). All were installed and used as long as I could take it (no less than 1 month for any of them), using fresh installs of Windows Vista x64 SP1 (except the OCZ, which had so many problems in x64 I had to go to x32).

The SuperTalent MX gave great write speeds, average read speeds, no measurable change in battery life, no stutter - and was very cheap! Definitely the bargain of the bunch but slow by "modern" standards (it was my "first" way back in August of 2008).

OCZ was super crap. It was such a major waste of my time I cannot begin to express my disappointment with OCZ as a company. Stuttered all the time, not even usable in x64 and mostly unusable in x32. Almost made me give up my quest for a great SSD laptop. On the bright side, if you streamed large blocks (read) it would post decent stream speeds. But that was its only positive attribute. And, OCZ to this day won't admit there was a bug and kept insisting that the stuttering was inherent in SSD design - not true (despite my offer to show them that I could take a hard drive image and put the same image on the OCZ and the Supertalent, and the supertalent would work whereas the OCZ would not).

Intel 80/160GB are fantastic drives (same specs, just different size). They worked exactly as advertised and I bought the 160Gb the day it became available. Very very fast (much faster in actual use than either the previous SSDs, and fast beyond belief compared to the spinning disk). After upgrading to the Intel SSD, my tx2500z became "instant on" (not quite instant off, but a few seconds so close enough). Further, my battery life improved 20% vs. the spinning disk that came with my t2500z (a 320gb).

I did have a problem with the 80GB drive - the boot sector developed an error rendering the drive unusable, but all data was recoverable. I have returned it to Intel and they are replacing it. Keep in mind that (a) Intel drives have excellent warranties (and they honor them), and (b) ANY drive could have a random defect (though it was in the boot sector which made me wonder if its usage related).

As good as the intel drives were, the Samsung is even better. I am up 25% on battery life, and speeds are even faster. The only negative versus the Intel is that for some reason, the Samsung is not as fast on "sleep" and "wake" vs. the Intel (the Intel drives were almost instant; Samsung SSD seems to take about 5 seconds). But the Samsung seems faster in regular use for video, music, browsing, downloads, etc.

Either the Intel or the Samsung are very solid choices.

I kept the Samsung due to the problem I had with the 80gb intel drive, as well as the faster streaming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.