Would Canada get the TM2T with ATI graphics?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by RZetlin, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RZetlin

RZetlin Scribbler - Standard Member

HP Canada only have the TM2 1070 model which only includes the Intel graphic processor.

It's too bad I can't order from HP USA or else I won't have to wait.

Does anybody know if the TM2t with the ATI graphics card would be released in Canada?

2. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Canada is a very small market and HP does not need the sale for a few users.

3. Oliver Beyer

Oliver Beyer Scribbler - Standard Member

Can't you get it from "south of the border" then?

4. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Several resons

1. Warranty Repair
    2. Support
    3. UPS charge big brokerage fee
    4. Customs tax, GST, HST etc

It could add 25% to 30% cost to the unit

5. Troodon

Troodon Pen Pal - Newbie

That's funny. The Canadian market is 10% of the US market. Marketing execs in any large company will kill to get a 10% increase in sales per annum.

6. Troodon

Troodon Pen Pal - Newbie

The consumer tm2-1070 is not a high performance convertible laptop, it's just a "very portable" device. It comes with no optical drive, the screen is rather small, CPU runs at 1.3 GHz, the graphics processor is the usual Intel thing, keyboard design is awkward. Buy it's the only one in its class available on the market. That's why it sells at $1,100 (CAD). Business Tablet PCs start at 2K, give or take a couple hundred. I asked at BestBuy what's going on; the guy said it's a niche market, period.

7. JJ*

JJ* Pen Pal - Newbie

HP Canada is run by morons, plain and simple ! It's called lost sales.
    How hard is it to take orders on their website and once they have a couple hundred orders, ship a goddamn skid with everything on it across the border in the back of a truck.

Best thing to do is have patience and a competitor will come out sooner or later with a better product.

Up yours HP Canada

8. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Tablet PC market definitely isn't huge however I do think its starting to pick up a bit. There are a lot of models and styles of ALL kinds of tablet devices from the iPad, the HP Slate, to Microsoft's Courier, etc. I think this will actually help the Tablet PC market as you'll start to see software for the bigger touch screen devices go multi-platform. A a LOT of the software that makes sense on an iPad makes sense on a Tablet PC. I think you'll see apps on the Tablet PC that make sense get iPad ports and vice versa.

It's a shame you can't get a customize tm2 in Canada. I have a tm2 with a 1.6 GHz CPU and the HD 4550 And the machine runs SO well. I love it.

9. corecomps

corecomps OSX86 User

I agree it's lost sales but HP may have a point here. Microsoft tells executive customers that any idea that can't make them 1 million dollars / year is simply given away on code project. Why? Because they feel their resources are far too valuable to spend on "lower" end sales. This is why they recently killed Microsoft Money even though it was profitable.

HP likely feels that a majority of users are not smart enough to understand the difference between Intel and ATI graphics. So with any lack of competition, how many sales are they actually going to lose? NOT MANY.

If you go purely on sales numbers if CA is 10% of the market then expect to have 10% the resources that the US has for service and support. With limited resources, they have to make short cuts somewhere. If there are 10 variations and HP in the northland can cut that in half it saves on support, parts supply etc.

To your point of the complications of border crossing /taxes/ and trying to conduct business across a border....that can be blamed on our ignorant governments with their over complicated sheltered protectionist policies.

10. JJ*

JJ* Pen Pal - Newbie

Corecomps your probably correct but if this is HP Canada logic then i'll say it again, there morons. If you can have your product shipped to Seattle,Detroit or Buffalo, then a couple hundred miles further north should not be a problem. I see no reason why they can't have a main warehouse either in Vancouver or Toronto to handle all of the Canadian Custom built orders. Instead they rely on sales from companies such as futureshop, London drugs or staples. All stores I and many others hate shopping for computers at. I am sure their sales would increase if they targeted a better built machines at preferable stores such as Ncix, DirectCanada or Newegg ect..

If Hp thinks that the majority can't figure out the difference between Intel and Ati Then This company needs to get out of the 1990's mentality. Its 2010 and people are way more educated and spend more time researching products , Hence this forum...
    If they find their sales are not all that great in Canada then it is mainly caused by there own doing, For as long as I can remember they have always offered a lower quality build or missing features of every Laptop ever sold in Canada compared to what they offer in the US. Thus they generate the dissapointment in their own product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.