Would a T2020 Fit What I Need?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by johnny_fred, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny_fred

johnny_fred Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey everyone, I'm heading into an engineering program at the university of toronto next year, and am in need of a new tablet. I've had an HP tc4200 for about three years now. It's held up pretty well, but I'm in need of something new.

I'm definitely considering the fujitsu T2020, seeing as how it's the most in my price range. If any of the T2020 owners here could tell me if that tablet would fit what I need, that would be great :)

Most of the notes I will be taking will be by hand in tablet mode; the notes are apparently about 70% equations and formulae (I'll be doing this in onenote 2007). Because of this, quality of the screen/pen and ease of taking notes is probably one of the most important features.

I'm going to be taking this laptop to class with me everyday, so I would like it fairly portable with a battery life of atleast approximately 7 hours.

I'm also planning on using it as a desktop as well (just plug a mouse/larger monitor into it in my dorm), so I do need a bit of power. A lot of the time I'll be remote desktopping into another computer to run intensive programs such as matlab though. I will also be doing a bit of programming in C or C++.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

Probably about 1500, but it's flexible

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Nope

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
    Compact ~ 10"
    Mainstream ~ 12.1"
    Large ~ 14"

Probably mainsteam, but a bit larger (in the 13 inches) wouldn't be the end of the world.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    I'm based in Canada, but I can always order from the US

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Approximately 7 would be nice, more would definitely be a plus

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Note taking, report writing, email, web surfing. Normal student stuff. I'm not much of a gamer. I'll most likely have itunes on it, but speakers wouldn't really be a problem cause I'd use headphones/external speakers.

9. Do you have an OS preference?
    Windows vista as of now, then an upgrade to windows 7

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Microsoft office, thunderbird

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Well other then a few basic flash things on www.addictinggames.com, probably not

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer a standard or widescreen display?
    Whatever you think is better suited for my needs

2. What resolution do you prefer?
    XGA - 1024x768 ~ Large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen. (no longer available new, must look for used or refurbished machines)
    WXGA - 1280x768 ~ Wider viewing angle of XGA but ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space. (Only resolution available in new tablets circa mid 2008)

I suppose WXGA is my only option

3. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
    It would be nice, but it will mostly for inside use

4. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?
    Don't know

5. Do you require Touch? (Which one: passive or capacitive)
    As in can use my fingers? I've tried it out a few times on the newer HP models and it doesn't seem too effective, so i wouldn't put it as a decision-maker (doesn't matter).

6. Do you require a Digitizer Pen ? (Which one: Wacom, Finepoint, or N-Trig Technology)
    Yes definitely a pen. And whichever is best suited to my needs

7. Do you require pressure sensitivity?
    Would be nice

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    Large-but-not-so-large-that-it-sacrifices-portability-and-battery-life. I'd like to be able to upgrade RAM a fair amount.

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?
    Preferable, but it would be fine if there was an option for a modular bay with it attached

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    Preferably, but depends on battery life of actual tablet. I had the travel battery of the HP tc4200 - added quite a bit of weight but i was fine with it.

Again, thank you all so much

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

You've already asked this question in the what tablet pc should i buy thread? Fujitsu users who want to contribute to the OP's post can answer there.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.