Would a Notebook 9 Pro be able to run 2 additional monitors?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by overground55, Feb 4, 2019.

1. overground55

overground55 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys,

Currently I have one additional monitor, a DELL P2217H 21.5-Inch, hooked up to my N9P. I would like to attach another monitor, but I am unsure whether this is possible. If it is possible, how can I do this? Thank you to anyone who can help me with this problem.

2. RayM

RayM Pen Pal - Newbie

On it's own: no.

But with a dock it can.

I went with a Dell D6000 Universal USB-C Dock, because I found one on sale for $110.00.

There's a cheaper model, the Dell D3100 that would probably also work, but it connects through one of the USB-A 3.0 ports instead.

So your choice on what input you want to take up.

Here's the official Dell pages for each; be sure to scroll down to tech specs and "View More Tech Specs" to see all of the supported video inputs and resolutions:
    Dell D6000
    Dell D3100

The D6000 gets mediocre reviews, but honestly, I haven't had any issues with my install. I'll admit that I was tentative with the purchase because of all of the recorded issues; so I don't know if there was a firmware issue, a bad batch from the manufacturer or what. But the Dell site, the Amazon reviews and this Wirecutter article helped me decide to take the risk.

And it looks like Ars Technica may also have an updated list.

You could probably opt for adapters or converters instead of a full dock, but I don't have much information for you on that front.

Checking out your monitor, it doesn't look like you'd be able to daisy-chain via DisplayPort 2.1. I think I've read online the possibility of daisy-chaining through USB C or USB 3.0, but I haven't fully looked into it or tried it myself.

I personally like the dock because I can connect network, external hard drive, my monitors and a multitude of other peripherals through a powered USB hub, but only have one connection to worry about to the Notebook Pro.

I guess that makes me now wonder if a USB-A 3.0 has enough power in it to charge the Notebook Pro? Might be something else you'll want to look up if you decide to purchase the D3100.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any questions.

3. overground55

overground55 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Someone else had actually answered this for me: it turns out there is a USB C port on the N9P, and by using a USB C to HDMI Adapter, you can hook up a third monitor. That's what I am currently using. I will have to look into a hub though, because I could use an extra port or two.

4. RayM

RayM Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah, yeah, totally fair.

And thanks for sharing your great find on the Z10T styluses in that other thread! I'm going to get a couple as they look to be a very ergonomic circumference!