Worth to step up to SP2 from TPT2 for a 1 to 2-month oversea stay? ( and keeping it after coming back)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by cstablet, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cstablet

cstablet Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone,

I've owned my TPT2 for a little over 3 months. I went for its lightweight, battery life, and acceptable computing power for my use (OneNote note taking, general browsing, and occasional other Office works like spreadsheet). And TPT2 has treated me really well except for occasional "dead sleep" and loss of screen touch. However, since I upgraded to 8.1 a couple days ago, it has seen a great improvement and there has been 0 dead sleep.

Now that SP2 has come out and i'm really tempted to upgrade it. Back in July when I purchased TPT2, an attractive alternative to me was Surface Pro, but I soon dropped it out of consideration because of the short battery life, and I went with TPT2 for the battery life. Now SP2 seems to improve quite a bit on battery life from various reviews and discussions here on the forum and on other websites, not to mention the upcoming battery cover next year, which all got me very excited and tempted to upgrade - like many geeks, I always want more powerful device if the battery life is not much worse. I might not need the extra power ALL the time, but occasionally I've wanted TPT2 to be faster than it is, for example, especially when I launch Firefox/Dropbox/Onenote for the first time after fresh boot-up. Also, when I took a 2-week short-term and intensive financial modeling class, which dealt with large excel daily (requiring replication on 100k cells), I hoped I did not have TPT2, because I had to wait literally 7-10 minutes on the re-calculation every time hah.. I know, it's not designed for that, though.

In addition, as title suggested, I have a 1 to 2-month travel to China coming up in December, during which I'm totally away from my desktop at home. I expect to rely on the tablet (TPT2 or SP2) much much more than right now. The favorite thing about my desktop is that i can power browse using Firefox, which I find a challenge for TPT2.

So, the battery limitation on SP2 has been lifted (and 2-position stand design is also satisfying for me), I am considering an SP2 seriously. Also, price wouldn't be too ridiculous either as I'm picking up a 64GB/4GB version if I do make the decision to upgrade. It's $900, if I buy it somewhere out of state and tax-free -- only $200 more than what I paid for TPT2... Yep, I picked the TPT2 model with Digitizer, LTE, and NFC... Off topic: LTE was really a bad decision I think, as I use Nexus as my phone and tethering cannot be any easier with it. The reason I wanna go with 64GB model is that I do not want to over-configure it like with TPT2, as I will be much less of a power user on this tablet, which I consider to be someone that runs virtual machines, large database processing, visual rendering, and maybe modern games (I only play Counterstrike occasionally now). I also do not need large internal storage as all important goes to cloud and get synced back to my desktop at home daily. For other entertainment like movies and music, I usually stream. I have 25.3GB free out of 48GB disk space on my TPT2 right now.

A further justification for getting SP2 is that I'm graduating and getting into an office job, and would rely on this single device to handle extra office works in the future.

So what is holding my back? Fund.. I really need to sell the TPT2 to partially fund the SP2, and depending on what I can get for selling TPT2, I can then decide if it's worth it to upgrade. I'm seeing similar/lower configured TPT2 for sale on eBay for around $400... Which will mean a $500 to $600 to add into getting SP2. Selling something I bought for $700 three months ago for $400 right now is really stupid, but it is what it is, and I understand electronics world is all about huge depreciation. I just didn't expect this much.

Thus, I want to see what you think TPT2 is currently worth. The model number is 36795XU with AT&T LTE, digitizer, NFC, OEM bluetooth keyboard/stand, and the sleeve for both TPT2 itself and the keyboard. Also, do you think it's worth it to upgrade to an SP2? I'm really getting tired of switching between devices. I had Dell xps12 for a couple of months before TPT2 and the inking sucked big time, so I switched to TPT2. Now I have this idea of switching to SP2. I hope it'll be at least another 18 months before I jump to another device again, if I do go with SP2 this time.

Finally, sorry for the rambling writing. I hate myself for inability to state my ideas logically and clearly. My minds always jump around and it's even annoying for myself to read my own writings :mad:- So thanks for your patience and help in advance.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, there's no doubt that the SP2 is much more powerful than the TPT2, so if you need more power headroom, then that would be a reason for switching. You mentioned $900 as the purchase price. I assume that you are implying that you would keep the Bluetooth keyboard for the SP2? If not, then you need to factor in the cost of a Touch Cover 2 ($120).

The SP2 does not have GPS or NFC, so if these are important to you, be aware that you don't have them in the SP2. Also, possibly a minor thing, but the SP2 does not have Connected Standby, so incoming Skype calls won't wake it up as far as I'm aware.

One last consideration, will your Nexus work in China? If not, you'll have to rely on WiFi connections during your travel, and you may find that some of your usual internet sites are blocked in China...

3. cstablet

Thanks for the very good points that I totally overlooked :), and especially the Great Fire Wall in China -- what a bummer, right?

I am not keeping the bluetooth keyboard of TPT2, but I'm not getting a type cover (preferred over touch cover) either, as I have an old-school BT Logitech keyboard designed for iPad, I'll see if I can use it with SP2. I want to hold back on the OEM covers because I am waiting for the battery cover to come out and do not want to have to sell the type cover at that time if I bought one. Also, from the usage of TPT2 in the past months, I realized that I do more inking than typing, and I use full-size on-screen keyboard most of the time for some quick input of website address or windows shortcuts because it's much quicker than to connect the BT keyboard and put TPT2 into the stand. If I find out that I cannot live with the iPad keyboard, then I might get a super used typecover or touchcover, whichever is the cheapest, and save up a little for the upcoming battery cover, i guess.

As to the GPS and NFC, even along with the LTE, I never used once in the past three months, so I assume they are rarely needed in the future, if at all. I got LTE because I thought I could use it for when I am traveling and needing navigation around like I did in Europe in 2011. It'll be a cheaper way to just get a cheap wireless data day pass than to get a simcard for phone if I'm in Europe in my impression. However, T-mobile USA is offering brilliant deal now and I think we can call at $.20 per minute as well as get free text and data (at 2G speed tho) in most other countries that I might be traveling to, so reserving LTE serves little purpose now. In China, this coming vacation, I will have WiFi constant but do have to deal with the GFW I guess (**** it). Actually, I think even I'm tethering using a USA service provider, I will be blocked by the GFW because my cellphone will be roaming through Chinese mobile provider and they also help government block access to certain foreign websites, sigh...

So after considering all these factors, it looks like my only concern right now is if I could successfully sell the TPT2 at a reasonable price. If it can only be sold at $300 maybe, I will definitely back-off and keep it... I'll add way too much into this upgrade in that case :mad:

4. beckyb

beckyb Scribbler - Standard Member

I have been using a Thinkpad Tablet 2 in addition to an X200 tablet for a couple of months, and just upgraded to the Surface Pro 2 in order to replace both of them. I loved the TPT2 for many of the same reasons you listed - great battery life, nice screen, cool and fanless, lightweight, etc..., but it was just too laggy for daily work. I also had a Samsung Ativ 500t (same processor as the TPT2) that I tried using as my only system for a couple of months. I just found that the Clover Trail atom was a bit too slow to be used as my only computer. For most things it was OK, but when I was loading some web pages, there was quite a bit of lag.

I managed to catch a 128GB Surface Pro 2 with type cover on ebay for just under $900, and am so happy that I bought it! My main worries in replacing my TPT2 and X200 were that it would be too hot, not have enough battery life, and not be comfortable in my lap, which is where 90% of my use is. None of these have been a problem. It is staying very cool, and I have yet to notice the fan run at all! I am very sensitive to fan noise, so that is a huge plus for me! Now granted, I am not trying to run any games or anything. I use it for browsing, and a needlework design program mainly. As for the lap use, it is very comfortable with the new angle on the kickstand. The type keyboard is very stable, and it is working great as my main laptop. The battery life is plenty for me, I'd guess that I'm getting about 6 hours total, and could get much more if I was willing to dim the display more (I like to keep it at about 75% all the time).

The display on this thing is just gorgeous! The only thing I'm having to get used to is the higher resolution. I'm 46 and wearing progressive lenses, so this will probably not be an issue for you if you have young eyes :). It's easy to zoom web pages, and so it's worth it to me to leave it at full resolution to enjoy the sharp, crisp display.

I'm getting ready to sell my TPT2 on ebay soon. I've been watching what they go for, and am hoping to get close to $400 for mine. I would think with the bluetooth keyboard the the nice specs on yours, that you should be able to get about $500 for yours.

Good luck with your decision. I would never have guessed that this form factor would work for me since I'm used to having a more traditional convertible tablet as my main system, but I am very glad that I gave the Surface Pro 2 a chance.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    Bronsky likes this.
  5. cstablet

Thanks a lot becky. Your post responded to all my concerns! I put an order with SP2 through MS store as they gave me 10% student discount, which gorgeously covered the sales tax and a little more. I ordered 64GB though as I do not see myself in need for more space as I will have plenty external drives and cloud services like dropbox and skydrive, and more importantly I'm a cheap student :p

It's was really nice for you to be able to get SP2 at a great price given how many sellers are capitalizing on the shortfall of the SP2 supply right now. There was only one seller on eBay selling even the 64GB model (still available at MS store) at MSRP. And the second day I checked, that seller also increased its price by $100... Other places selling 256 model at $2500+ are just crazy. I hope no one buys them :)

Again, thanks for your input!

6. beckyb

beckyb Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, I was lucky to get a good deal on this one, especially since I can't get a student discount. The type cover was even in purple, my favorite color :)

Glad I could help with your decision. Enjoy your SP2 when it arrives!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.