Worth it to wait for new X200T Processors?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ratdoc, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squishydonut

squishydonut Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm currently on the fence about getting a x200t. I read the thread about the upcoming 1.8 & 2.16Ghz processors that are making their way down the pipe. Any compelling reasons to wait for the fall/winter before buying? I've been out of the loop for a while, not sure what the current or future CPU architecture is or it's significance.

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi squishydonut,

It's hard to say when Lenovo (EDIT: Or any other manufacturer, for that matter) will come out with new upgrades to their line or even a new product model. Intel is expected to release a new platform/processor based off of the new Nehalem micro-architecture (Core i7) around summer/fall. If it doesn't get postponed of course! If all goes as planned, there may be new models/line refreshes around the same time, realistically speaking we may see something toward the end of the year or early next year since the Tablet PC market is usually a few months behind the notebook market.

3. squishydonut

I've been reading up a bit on the Nehalem specs. The things that stick out to me was 30% less energy consumption for the same performance. A general Ghz bump for the CPU. Along with a better performing IGP (comparable to AMD?)

That last one I'm not so clear on.

It sounds like Westmere will be a bigger step in regards to a dual-mode IGP. I may be way off base though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. LenovoGringo

LenovoGringo Scribbler - Standard Member

If you are willing to wait over a year for the technology to come out and are willing to pay top dollar then yes...... It's going to take a long time for Lenovo to come out with the 'X201' due to the economy, the netbook fad, and the wait for new technologies and new software (Win 7). The x200 is hardly outdated as it is. I think the depreciation of Lenovos is relatively good compared with other manufacturers so you might consider getting a X200 for a steal and selling it later.

5. squishydonut

The setup that I want right now is about $2400 or thereabouts. The discounts drop it a few hundred bucks. I wouldn't be interested in selling it once I bought it, it would be a one shot deal. The possibility of a low/mid range GPU is intriguing. I'm guessing it won't be like that though. Probably very similar to how it is right now. If the IGP is a big step forward I would wait.

6. fuqele

fuqele Pen Pal - Newbie

So I am a little confused.
    I am planning to buy my first tablet, and I really want a x200 tablet. I looked around on ebay, and I found one with 2.013Ghz processor. But I checked on the lenovo website, the only processor options they offer are 1.2ghz and 1.86ghz. So what exactly is this person selling on ebay??? Is this the processor update squishydonut is talking about? Or is this a fraud??? http://cgi.ebay.com/X200-tablet-2-1...3477780QQptZLaptopsQ5fNov05QQsalenotsupported

7. LenovoGringo

LenovoGringo Scribbler - Standard Member

^^^ I don't think it is a scam in that regard.

I believe that there was an option for the SL9600 (2.13Ghz) processor for the X200 tablet at one time. Lenovo dropped the option due to low availability.

You can read it here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=376603&page=2

But just a word of caution; the seller has a very low rating and accepts no returns..... No real pictures either. Unless he/she can post a pic of his/her ebay name plus the tablet somewhere I would stay away.

8. euquility

euquility Pen Pal - Newbie

probably not worth it to buy from ebay, the SL9600 should be out soon though considering you can already considering you can already configure it for the Hp 2730p

9. alphakenny1

alphakenny1 Pen Pal - Newbie

yea i've seen that guy over at thinkpad forums and me and him have discussed our orders here: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=75971. seems like a good guy but yea no way in hell he's gonna sell it for that much.

10. zephir

zephir Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, that guy is not very smart. I really doubt that he will get $300+ more for a processor upgrade that costs originally $60 more than the SL9400. :rolleyes:
    But oh well, if he wants to waste his money on ebay fee then let him. He doesn't even have a decent amount of feedback. I doubt that anybody will be comfortable buying a $2000+ item from a guy with 4 feedbacks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.