Working with CAD and CG software. Improving performance?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Val'R Dunin, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Val'R Dunin

Val'R Dunin Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a TX2500. (amd turion X2, 3GB RAM, Ati radeon HD 3200, Vista 64, etc)
    As all you know the CAD, and computer graphics software, are resource consuming. They are pushing the limits of the machine when working on complex scenes. ( the graphics card, the RAM memory, the processor when rendering, etc)
    I pushed (yesterday) my HP to it's limits when working on a 3d scene. I was working just in wireframe, but when the scene was getting complex, the machine got slow responsive (it got a little bit annoyng). Iven if it had over 1,2 GB of RAM free, and the processor was not working so hard.
    I searched the internet and I think the shared memory for the graphic card is the fault. The RAM memories are to slow for the graphics.
    That are the facts. (if I presume correct).

The reason why I opened the topic is...what can we do (what do you do) to improove the performance of the machine for using it in CG and CAD?
    First ...without hardware changes like changing component's.

2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I am finding it quite odd you are having difficulties running CAD software smoothly. On my 1.2ghz core 2 centrino processor, i can run ACAD 2009 and maya 2008 smoothly and my tablet is considered a note taking tablet. Not to mention the GPU isn't all that great to start with (3.1 on the index score).

EDIT: just out of curiosity did you do a fresh install of the operating system when you got it (not using the restore disks)? On the tx2500's their power was crippled from the install, and a fresh install has had people claiming a 150%-200% power increase.

3. Val'R Dunin

Val'R Dunin Pen Pal - Newbie

Not just running the softare does that. It has no problem running it. But building and working more complex scenes does.
    Of course the hardware cannot run an infinite number of polys or other stuff, but I had the feeling that my HP could do more. That was bothering me.
    On my older desktop if I got to it's limits It was out of memory, or (and) the processor was running at 100% and it could not do the job. Here is not the case. That's why I found the only answer tho be the slow memory.

Btw. Im working in vectorworks and 3dsmax, corel, photoshop an a little bit zbrush. (not all at the same time :) )

I have not done a clean install for more reasons.
    First I had to use the tablet imediate when I got it. I had a project that could not wait. (and it goes like this since then :) ) so I didn't had the time.
    Second, I have no disks. The vista and all drivers are on that recovery partition, and again I have no time to search for working drivers, troubleshoot problems with them, trying others, etc. I need that tablet working.
    So if the clean install is the only solution it will have to wait. :(
    Thank you for the suggestion anyway.
    But maybe there are other things that could be tryed...I dont know...changing some settings in the Catalyst CP, or some other tweaks. Maybe someone tryed something and it improved the functionality.
    The tablet is stable and works without (other) problems and I don't want to mess with the changes so I'm not trying stuff by luck (I saw enough trouble with that series, here ont the forum, to know I'm lucky). I'm at 10000km from US (the tablet was bought there) and I don't want to send it to service. :)

PS
    The tablet is plugged in, and at High performance, when working in those softwares. :)

4. Nihility

Nihility Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you already have 4 GB of memory? That's one option.
    Another option is to install a super expensive and high speed SSD (not the cheap ones), but even that won't fix your problem (being the super slow processor and weak graphics card).
    There's really nothing you can do to improve performance beyond that.

5. HellParker

HellParker Civil Engineer

6. DrivingManiac

DrivingManiac Pen Pal - Newbie

Nihility is kind of hitting the head on the nail with this suggestion. The reason is because that with the 3 Gb configuration the laptop isn't actually getting to use the memory bandwidth of 2 identical 2 Gb memory sticks.

As far as boosting your performance greatly, I doubt it's going to be an amazing leap but you'll enjoy the benefits of the full 4 Gb with your 64-bit os.

The tx2500 I just ordered yesterday is to be used with the intent of notetaking and general word processing anyways. I would probably have never recommended tx2500 or tx2 for in depth CAD and 3D rendering despite the ability to play decent games on it.