Workaround for tiny Photoshop UI on the Surface Pro x (or other apps on other hi Dpi screen)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by scrambler, Aug 7, 2014.

1. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

For people who have the problem of Photoshop CSx UI being way too small on the Surface Pro (or any Hi Dpi screen), I came across an interesting workaround for CS6 that led me to a post that extends the method for any application suffering the same issue.

I tested it on my copy of CS5 on the Surface Pro 3 and after some tuning, it works pretty well.

I made a summary of the process HERE and posted the original articles, as well as a ready to use set of files at the link below
    https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=4BE668230430EFDD&id=4BE668230430EFDD!935

If interested, read the Enabling The Photoshop UI word file in there to find out more
    Enabling the Photoshop UI

It is not perfect but it helps a lot and you don't have to use it all the time.

Edit: Added a Screen grab of the Surface pro 3 screen when scaling on the tablet is at 150%
    https://public.by3301.livefilestore.com/y2pT5OCHgmrssamLBeC-3vBgIwz9goScB9jqAVVhVtZjqlJEktEQe0DbU_D4VttT25z85iuc8d9yanNEfSyeRwmSkfSgkAnsMYWzeBOZJw8WN4/Surface Pro 3 at 150 Screen Grab.JPG?psid=1

EDIT: I recently found someone who posted a tutorial on the same subject. It explains less about the manifest, and does not provide a file to make the registry change automatically, but it has nice screen grabs for the overall process.
    http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Carrie likes this.
  2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Very nice, scrambler!

3. scrambler

Thanks for the initial post, and glad you like it :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  4. palaudawg

palaudawg Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, this work great with my version of Photoshop CS6. I used the reg and manifest files you posted and it worked perfect!

Thanks!!!!

5. scrambler

Interesting that the manifest for that CS5 version and your CS6 version are the same, especially given someone mentioned that an update on CS6 required a different manifest.

Just know that if you update CS6 you may have to recreate the manifest based on the new executable.

6. trale

trale Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    Tried this method on my copy of CS6, double-checked I had everything right, but I get this message when trying to launch Cs6:

“The system cannot find the file specified.”

I'm running Windows 7 ultimate, 64bit edition.

Any ideas?

7. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I think this was meant for Win 8 environment.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

8. Deathwinger

Deathwinger Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys,

These files worked splendidly with my surface 3 and photoshop cs6 (64bit). All the other workarounds I have been trying have not been working at all. I was wondering if it was possible to make one for Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects and Adobe Illustrator? :)

I haven't been getting much luck transferring the manifest myself and any help would be appreciated.

9. b-tree

b-tree Pen Pal - Newbie

@trale: Download and run scrambler's 'remove-prefer-external-manifest.reg'. I had same problem. When my registry entry 'PreferExternalManifest' was set to 1, then the x64 version of Photoshop CS6 gave the error you mentioned ('The system cannot find the file specified') and would not run. In my case, Bridge CS6 x64 would not run, either, and gave error message: 'The operation could not be completed.' When I set registry value to 0 (zero), then both ran great. Problem appears to be in the 64-bit versions from my testing. It never effected my 32-bit version in any way. Also, to do registry value by itself, start registry (regedit.exe) and go here: 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide' and look for 'PreferExternalManifest' in right pane - change to 0 (zero).

Current System: ASUS P8B-C_SAS_4L | Intel Xeon X3 1270 @ 3.50 GHz Quad | 32 GB RAM @ DDR3-1333 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti | HDs: (2) 500 GB, (3) 1 TB, (1) 1.5 TB, (1) 2 TB, 1 (320 GB) | Win 7 Ult. x64

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  10. LoserName

LoserName Pen Pal - Newbie

How can we update this to work on Windows 10?