Work in Case- My thoughts and yours too.

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by atom, Jul 13, 2008.

1. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Got my Work in case moments ago.

Came in a nifty cloth bag, but not so much quality to keep that cloth bag for anything useful.

Ok.... My thoughts

Initial: nice. Material is sturdy. however i can see an area where they miscut the supporting interior plastic or whatever, and as a result, when they stitched the cover on, its slighty off. Doesn't prohibit in anyway the functioning of the unit.

Fit: It fits really snug. Be warned that since the speakers on the FRONT of the tablet, there are no cutouts for them so you will get muffled sound. However I'm running the music from the battery test and its not that bad. Noticable yes, problem no. Also, the cutouts on the side with the usb ports is off. I'd say about a 1/4 to 1/2" to the side. I'll probably call Gateway and complain and have them send me another one, because I didn't spend $60 for less than quasi-perfect. Also, no cutouts for the DVD. You have to unzip, and remove to swap cd/dvds.

so that all being said, There are 2 ways to do use it.
    1. as a regular laptop, you will have to unzip the cover to use it like a laptop. By this I mean the cover will fold back, and you just flip the top up while the main body is still in the case.
    2. If you want to use it like a slate, you first rotate the screen prior to zipping it up and fold it flat. On the cover, is a velcro'd cutout (REally strong velcro) that is the same size as the screen. So once its zipped up, you open the cover cutout and tada!!!

There is a slot for the pen and pen latch. On the back is a elastic strap that you fold the cutout cover into it to hold in place. The back also has elastic for the battery buldge, the 2 D links fro the sholder strap, and a business card slot. The bottom of the case, has the loop for another pen, but you should get one with a pocket clip because i tried putting the default pen in and its not the super tightest. if the pen is thicker, then great.

ps. Battery still showing 3:20 after 30 minutes of music.

Size: now it WILL add more heft if you are holding it. I think if I'm home or something, i'll take it out, but keep it in as i'm working with clients.

Its nice and all, and I will probably keep it, but I wish it had a pocket on the back so I could put a file folder in it. I'm also considering a sleeve to carry it in my bag. i don't really want to have to deal with 2 shoulder strapped items.

So in conclusion:

If you are a student and plan to carry the tablet around in a backpack, don't get this, get a sleeve or a laptop bag so store your stuff in. If you won't be carrying a backpack or case, and just the laptop, get it.

Like i said, I'm a Realtor, so i'll probably keep it so it has some protection when i'm going in the home and don't want to bring my full case with me.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Pen Pal - Newbie

can I see some pictures of the laptop in the case? thanks

3. nikecar

I'll post them later.. I don't have my camera with me.

One other flaw... No pocket to put adapter...

The more i look at this and the more I think about it, I might just return it and get something else. Targus has this Citylight bag with an area for my files and an area for the laptop, plus pens and such.

Its nice, i like it, but in my case, i REALLY don't want to carry 2 shoulder strapped items. I want one and be done with. i can get a sleeve for the tablet if I'm with clients.

4. phantom4099

phantom4099 Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought about getting one of these cases just to hang it up inside a car (ex... in the back seat to watch movies or to play games). But I was concerned that the car vibration may be kind of bad on the computer... but on the other hand I have several thousand miles on my current laptop while it was running, and even more while it was off in a case (only one bad hard drive in the 5+ years I owned it).

Wyatt W.

5. Genki

Genki Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you configure your computer with a 12 cell battery? Does the work in case still fit correctly even with the larger hump?

6. nikecar

I have the 8 cell. But over where the bump is, its flexible fabric so it should fit easily. I think they did this on purpose.

7. nikecar

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. DRR

DRR Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. lisally

lisally Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for sharing nikecar! The case looks really nice, but the misalignment does seem like it could be an issue. May the case is meant to be used with the smaller battery.

10. nikecar

Thanks.

If it was to be used with a smaller battery ( if the 6 is smaller) then it would move around. The case actually fits perfect with the 8 cell. The other side where the phone jack and the exhaust fan fits perfect. I think t was just miscut. On the pic with the pen slot. If you look to the right of it and up top at the edge, you will see were i initially mentioned it was cut wrong and the stichting was off. You can see it sticks out more than the left side.

ITs a nice case actually, and I REALLY am tempted to keep it, but I'm thinking I may want another case (cheaper) that I can fit my files in, and get a sleeve to carry this around if I need to.