Word Docs converting to XML?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by henderke, Feb 8, 2011.

1. henderke

henderke Pen Pal - Newbie

Not sure where to put this question, but I tried googling it and I couldn't find a fix. I keep trying to move my documents to the EP121 using my flash drive, but it keeps converting them to "open source xml" or something like that. I have office 2010 installed on both computers, and I have never had this issue before. Any ideas?

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How are you moving the documents and what format? I've copied plenty of Office documents to my EP121 with no problems.

3. henderke

Just dragging the files and folders to a flashdrive and then putting them on the EP121... Same thing I have always done. The ones that turn into XML are docx files, but I have office 2010 on the asus.

4. heatlesssun

So are they being converted when being copied to the flash drive? Do you have another flash drive? What if you open them over the network? Just trying to throw out things to look at.

5. henderke

I just tried another flashdrive and they appear to be converted when they get moved to the flashdrive. Any idea how to fix that?

6. purplepeopledesign

purplepeopledesign Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you have two different versions of Windows and/or Office on the computers the documents are being moved between? If so you could be having problems with the *.docx format. Exporting as a *.doc might solve your problem. Of course, if you have to do this with a lot of files, you'll have re-discovered the problem many businesses have with Office upgrades.

:)ensen.

7. heatlesssun

Do you have any kind of synching software installed? That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that would do that.

8. henderke

Both computers have Microsoft Office 2010 student, and my old one has Vista and obviously the EP121 has 7. I'd prefer not to convert them all because I have a lot of word documents lol.

9. henderke

Um, I'm not sure if I have any syncing software. Unless you know of one that's most likely pre-installed I have no clue.

10. heatlesssun

I was thinking like a phone syncing client. I don't think anything in Windows proper would convert the file. These are .docx files right?