Woohoo, new T4220!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by RocketScientist, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everybody,

I just got my brand-new T4220 today! I feel like I might have dodged a bullet, no identifiable problems yet!

Some Quick specs:
    2.2 GHz Intel Dual Core
    2 GB RAM
    Bluetooth, Intel Wireless A/B/G/N
    Fingerprint scanner
    SXGA Monitor
    80 GB HD
    Windows XP

It was one of those days where I sat around the entire day waiting for it, and it arrived only when I had finally resolved myself to waiting for another day.

My quick two cents on my "day 1" experience:

The screen is amazing, it is extremely bright and very clear. I really like the coating on it, it feels much more like paper than I was expecting.

I spent today installing drivers, updates, and miscellaneous other utilities (like OpenOffice and Cygwin). I was surprised that I had to hunt down the Bluetooth driver and the fingerprint utility (not the driver, just the user interface utility) in the six or seven CDs. It did come with OneNote 2007, but it was not pre-installed.

I mistakenly played with the Trusted Platform Manager, thinking that the fingerprint utility would be involved with that. Nope! The TPM hardware comes deactivated, then the user can choose to install the software and activate it. I did that, then realized I didn't want it. I uninstalled the software, but I haven't found out how to deactivate the hardware (settings are in the BIOS, but it does not appear to be alterable any more...). Oops!

I have played around a bit with the fingerprint scanner, once I got it set up. I actually like it, it appears to be very handy, and I haven't lost the novelty sense yet. I am a little worried about oils and grit, but I will have to use it for some time before I can make a judgement on its sensitivity to dirt.

The DVD drive was quite loud when I was installing software, I don't know what it sounds like with DVDs.

Anyway, time to sleep. I picked up a bunch of powertoys that I haven't played with yet, and I want to test my widescreen external monitor.

I am also planning on trying out Ubuntu and the miscellaneous Linux software packages for tablets, that should be interesting.

[EDIT]
    I tested a DVD today. The drive was very quiet, and I had no trouble hearing the movie. The speakers are just loud enough to be useful, but I would use headphones or external speakers for a better audio experience.

I was able to get my external monitor hooked up immediately. The laptop detected it without any problems. I kept the laptop resolution at 1400 x 1050, and set the external to 1280 x 768. Strangely, the native resolution of the external monitor (1440 x 900) was not available, but I could set the resolution as high as 1600 x 1200 if I chose. I am going to keep playing with it.

I found that the "external desktop" powertoy from Microsoft to be pretty helpful, it lets you interact with the external monitor with the pen. It may be easier to just have the external monitor be a clone display rather than an extended desktop for presentations and the like.
    [/EDIT]

Let's hope things continue smoothly for me, and good luck to the folks with issues!

RS

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice one RS.
    Look forward to hearing from you again soon. :)

3. Legato86

Legato86 Pen Pal - Newbie

Glad you are having a blast with your new t4220 RS! Mine is getting shipped out in about a week or so. This is my first tablet. Anybody have a tutorial as to how to 'use' a tablet? Like how to do inputs in tablet mode and what not. I had a chance to play with a X60 today and wow, I am so excited to get my tablet. I was quickly browsing through the forums and couldn't find a tutorial about the basics for tablets. If anybody could kindly help me out so that I have an idea of how things work before I get mine that would be superb.

4. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Legato,

There are tutorial programs that come with the laptop. Once you get it going, check out Start Menu > Programs > Tablet PC > Tablet PC Tutorials

There aren't any particular tricks. The pen can be tapped for left click, pressing and hold it will do a right click (there is also a right click button on the pen), the back of the pen will act like an eraser in OneNote and probably Journal, as well as in most other "pen-aware" programs. There is another button on the pen that i haven't worked out the exact functionality yet, it seems to depend on the software you are using.

When you want an on-screen keyboard, or handwriting recognition panel, you can use the "Tablet PC Input Panel" (on Win XP). There is a shortcut immediately to the left of the start button. You can also bring it up by holding the pen over the screen and moving side-to-side rapidly (this is a gesture).

There are a few other gestures you can do, depending on whether you are using XP or Vista. I chose XP, so I don't quite have the same set of features.

It is pretty intuitive to get started, and there isn't all that much complexity to learn.

5. o-ron

o-ron Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm curious. What's the highest external monitor resolution you've managed to get?

Have you tried 1920x1200??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.