Won't recognize battery, battery won't charge

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by bleeble, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bleeble

bleeble Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there! I have a 2 year old HP TM2. Recently while working with it I noticed that while it was plugged in, the battery would blink off and it would show me the "No battery is detected". It now no longer recognizes the battery at all. This happened in the span of two weeks. I've done all the troubleshooting found on the HP website that I could find, but nothing seems to address the computer not recognizing the battery.

The computer functions while plugged in but runs like molasses. It functioned normally when I would unplug it and run off the battery (when it still recognized it). This makes me think it's the computer? Honestly, this is my first PC in 10 years, so I have no idea.

Normally I'd just buy a new battery and see if it works, but they're a little pricy for my current financial situation. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

It's a long shot, but you can try to reinstall Windows and see if that does anything, but I highly doubt it. Does it charge the battery when your tm2 is off? If it blinks then, you most likely need a new battery.

3. Zimoich

Zimoich Pen Pal - Newbie

Sounds like too much trouble just to check it out.
    Wouldn´t just the start up mini-os suffice. Or to use a live-cd/USBdrive, i.e. ubuntu.

4. Feralboy

Feralboy Scribbler - Standard Member

Sounds like a bad battery. But what's worked for me in the past is to remove the batter and take something slightly abrasive and rub the connectors...then reinsert the battery. Even worked on a friend's laptop, so I know it's not a fluke. I'm NOT techy, but there must be a film that builds up on the connectors over time and rubbing them with an abrasive cloth cleans it off and the connection is made again. In both case, I didn't see anything on the connectors -- they looked clean as a whistle. But in both cases, it worked. Actually, this has worked three times ... forgot about another friend who was about to buy a new laptop...until I told her of this easy fix. Give it a try...no guarantees, but if it works, that'll be four :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.