Wondering about turning a 2730P into a 2735P....

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dceggert, May 25, 2010.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

LOL..okay, I have a 2730P and have been reading about the new multi touch on the 2740P. Sounds nice. My brain, as always, strays a bit during these times. Replacing my outstanding 2730P for a new 2740P is out of the question for a while. My 2730P does need some attention, however.

I have a scratch on my screen that looks like a swipe from a zipper; likely from carrying it. The keyboard light is also busticated so I disabled it (the latch was broken allowing it to pop up and shine in the eyes of anyone next to me. Super annoying and wasting battery time. I implemented a particularly ingenious method to solve this issue if I say so myself...I lifted the bezel and held the light down while I inserted a thin piece of cardboard and then reseated the bezel....it held the light in and off!).

Anyway, I have been shopping for new top piece assemblies on eBay. Some show up now and again.

However, today I was thinking of NOT making that change and actually investigating getting a 2740P assembly instead. The hinge appears to be the same, as are the buttons and the bezel. If the system recognizes the hardware change, as it should, and the drivers are in the Win 7 repository, as they should, it should then work and provide multitouch to the 2730P. I will need to look at the two to see what interface cable(s) is(are) there.

In the mean time, can someone please look at your 2740P device manager to see if the touch screen is USB based or PCI? The Fujitsu P1620 touch screen is USB while the Wacom active digitizers on the 2730P, TC1100, and Motion LS800 are PCI. The Wacom multitouch panel uses the same active underlay and a new touch overlay but I have no clue if they connect through one cable or not. I also do not know if there is a connection on the 2730P m'board that would accept the touch screen connection if it is separate. Another alternative could be 2740P guts as well. That is all best handled after a few broken ones turn up on eBay.

Another interesting project would be to disassemble and reconfigure the case and components to make it a slate similar to the successful slate conversion of the MacBook that has been around for a while. A slate tablet with the battery slice and HP's outstanding dock would be an awsome unit! Without the hinge and keyboard there may be about .75# savings...or more.

Interesting stuff....

Dan

2. beckyb

beckyb Scribbler - Standard Member

Good question! I just bought a 2730p with thoughts of upgrading to the 2740p in a year or so when the prices drop. I don't really need the faster processor though. If I could update the screen to get the touch, that would work fine for me.

3. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. dceggert

Yes, I studied the manuals as well, at least the pictures that were published. It looks as though the 2740P uses one ribbon cable for the screen assembly and the same connection type for everything else. All the connections seem to be in different locations on the m'board, so cable length would need to be watched. As far as if the ribbon has the same connector or pinouts, that will need to wait until more specs can be examined.

Dan

5. Slidje

Slidje whats a slidje?

I would stick with the 2730p unless you want to use Windows 7 exclusively. Battery life is severely affected when you try to run 7 on the 2730, but not with the 2740.

I`ve never found my 2730p to be too slow or unusable. The multitouch feature is useless for me, i like to use the pen and would disable a touchscreen if it had one.

I only every replace a computer when it isnt running the programs i need, or it runs too slow.
    I`ve tried W7, Vista and XP on the 2730p. I stuck with XP because it loads and runs programs the fastest, and had the best battery life.

The only major differences between the two are: Multitouch, 3x USB ports instead of just 2, significantly faster processor/memory and the whole thing is designed for Windows 7. Not enough for me to consider changing my current tablet out just yet.

6. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

Any idea why battery life would be so different between XP and Win7 on the 2730P? Considering the 2740P has a more power hungry processor you would think it would also be affected? What is it doing differently? Driver maybe? If we could figure out the difference maybe it could be corrected retroactively.

7. dceggert

I have not taken the time to figure that out yet myself as I run W7 on my 2730P. With Vista Business I was getting a quote of 4+ hours from a full charge when you opened the battery monitor. With W7 I get a quote of about 2.5 hours from a full charge. I find myself clipping on the aux battery much more often in the same daily routine that I used with Vista.

Dan

8. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

same findings here....based on BatteryBar and RMClock readings, Vista Business yields a max capacity of 6 hr 25mins. However, this reading is obtained from a fresh install of Vista, with all Windows updates applied, and no other programs, nt even antivirus, installed.

In addition, BatteryBar supposedly has learning capabilities, so after running off the battery for a while, the stated max capacity has dropped to 5 hrs 40mins or so, from the initial 6+hrs . Not only that, again based on BatteryBar and RMClock, apparently my battery wear is 19%, thus giving me 36Wh instead of the 44Wh i should be getting.

Whereas for 7, BatteryBar shows 3h 20min for max capacity.

Now, another thing i noticed is that Vista seems to have lower discharge rates, as compared to 7. When idling, i can see the minimum discharge rates hit 5000+ mW or so very often in vista, whereas 7's minimum seems to hover ard the 6000+ mW regions....

9. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

re power usage, could very well be a driver or setting. Check the power plan settings you are using and look in Device Manager at the sleep options for devices; you may be able to set more power effective settings.

Try and make sure you have all the most recent drivers; so check both from HP and the component manufacturers.

If after all that no improvement then you might just find yourself unlucky; most computers are benefiting from lower power usage in 7 (especially compared to Vista), maybe the 2730p is one exception?

10. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

That's why I'm suprised. Even my old beater Toshiba gets as good or better battery life with Win7 than it did with XP.

Are we really to believe that the 2740p is a complete redesign of the 2730p beyond the necessary changes for the touch screen? Wouldn't the new CPU's draw more power than the ULV's in the 2730p?

The 2730p's are very tempting fruit now that prices have fallen since the release of the succesor. But, not if I can't run Win7 with comparable battery life.

There must be an answer somewhere.