wndows 8 consumer preview anyone?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by sudermatt, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

has any one loaded this yet?

2. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,
    yes i loaded an installed it (a couple of times) on the Q550. It seems to work pretty good out of the box. A lot better and faster than the dev. preview.

The only problem i got is getting the duosense driver to work =/.

3. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

I want to loading an my T730 but need some others to take the plugged first. I use it for work and can't afford any downtime.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I use it for work and can't afford any downtime...>>

...In that case, my sincere advice is that you not attempt this. Win8 is still a beta, albeit in a highly advanced state (we hope), and operating problems can still crop up...

5. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

LOL
    It's a beta version. It is explicitly NOT for cases where you need to rely on it.

6. 123Fels

123Fels Pen Pal - Newbie

wasn't able to install duo sense on Q550. Tried the trick updating n-trig drivers from the temp folder, but did not work. Maybe i did something wrong. Hm, experts with more knowledge needed!
    More issues: Camera does not work, at least with the preinstalled camera app, althoug FJ Camera drivers installed. HTML5 Video does not work in ie and in preinstalled videoapp - screen black, just audio. Flash Videos in desktop-version of IE work like they used to ~work~ in win7.
    The newer graphics driver from the intel page (v3077) doesn't have the flickering that the driver from the fujitsu webside has. Both drivers have the above stated video issue. I would go with the intel driver, because of faster updates looking forward.
    User experience is greatly improved compared to win7! With windows 8 the Q550 actually becomes a usable tablet, at least while staying immersive - but it&#8217;s still often recognizable that it&#8217;s sitting on a Atom Z670 when you demand him to switch between tabs or you are waiting for the simple store startpage to be scrollable. Bottom line: The difference is still huge compared to my Fujitsu T4310 which really really mindblowingly completely extraordinary rocks with windows 8 but for normal webpages and office-tasks this sweet light fanless Q550 at this stage allready has an acceptable user experience with windows 8. Edit: actually it's better than acceptable. The new preinstalled apps are great. Espacially Mail and Calender. Flicking through tasks is fast and responsive. I love it.

7. 123Fels

123Fels Pen Pal - Newbie

maybe you like this story: i was writing my thesis on my t4310 (which is mostly the same as the t730), when suddenly my Windows 7 hard drive failed. Yes, ****ing hell. So i swapped the harddrive with the other one i have -the one i was testing windows 8 with. (i did not have the time to reinstall win7 and all the programs.) Live Mesh brought my data to the new harddrive and in the following week of continous work i finished my thesis. I was full of fear the whole time but windows 8 developers preview served well without issues. After having lived through that, i would not recommend to use a beta for important work, not because i think, that it will let you down, but because of the fear you should have, that it may let you down, as all people seem to advice that you have to be careful with beta-software.

8. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, well its not a 'beta'. It's supposed to be a 'consumer preview'. And there is, at least for microsoft a difference.
    With Windows Vista / 7 they streamlined the development process, so that every build they make should get rtm like quality. Unstable bits don't get into the main tree.

@123Fels
    i don't think you did something wrong. I think the windows 8 now needs new touch drivers. I just don't understand why fujitsu doesn't release beta drivers. There are already beta drivers []Download Drivers and Software Detail but sadly just x64 :(.
    The camera app *kina works*. I think our biggest problem is still the bad intel graphic driver. I can't see the picture, just a darker box, but if i touch it, the back camera takes a foto.

9. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

@123Fels

Well, let me use a car analogy. Idk about US cars, but here you don't get real spare wheels anymore. It's either a spray not helping in most cases or something looking untrustworthy puny you're not supposed to go over 30mph with.
    So, if you have a flat in the middle of nowhere the puniest thing allowing you to keep moving is better than nothing ;)
    But would you exchange a normal tyre for a smaller, thinner one you're not supposed to go over 30mph with before driving your pregnant wife to the hospital? :D

@ Tourniquet

It shows the betta fish as wallpaper. Microsoft discourages use in productive environments, even for dual boot configurations. They even tell you that data loss may occur.

The point is for for just a second device to test it out that's not a problem and I'd trust their build management far enough. But as you say, should. There's a reason their development on stability isn't finished at the time they publish previews.
    But if someone says "can't afford ANY downtime" trusting that nothing will happen is just plain silly.

10. 123Fels

123Fels Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.