With both touchscreen & digitizer pen, is touchscreen that useful?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by cephasara, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cephasara

cephasara Pen Pal - Newbie

Is a touchscreen that useful when a tablet already has either Wacom or N-trig technology as well? I know this is somewhat matter of opinion, but I want to see what people believe. Sorry, I bet this has been asked before, I tried searching but had no luck. Thanks!

Side question: I've heard of hearing about air bubbles in solely active digitizer tablets, is this an issue to be concerned about with tablets lacking touchscreens?

2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I've only heard about it happening with dual digitizer screens, that is, it has a touchscreen and active digitizer. Also, I've only heard of it happening with Toshiba's.

I can see touch being useful sometimes when all I'm doing is reading and want to flip a page. Sometimes I think it'd be nice to tap the screen instead of pulling the pen out of the silo or hitting the tablet buttons next to the side of the screen.

3. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It would be nice if I didn't have to constantly pick up the pen to press a button on my TC1100's screen, but if the touchscreen solution is so poorly implemented as to cause lots of accidental input, I'd rather not have it there at all. I could easily foresee accidental screen contact triggering things I don't want to happen with the TC1100's form factor if it had touch capability.

For me, the trick is to figure out how to make touch COMPLEMENT the pen, not COMPETE with it.

4. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

On my TX2000 I use the touch screen all the time. I've gotten very good at starting programs, dragging and dropping and navigating around using touch, even though Vista is not really touch friendly. Windows 7 will be better when I get around to loading it. I now use touch more often than the touchpad in "laptop" mode as it takes so many swipes to get across the screen otherwise. I still need the touch pad for some of the more precise selections (like resizing a window). But I use the screen maybe 70% of the time and the touchpad 30%.

But it does take a while of concious effort ( a week or two) until it becomes second nature.

On my P1620 there is only touch and I hate tracksticks so again I use it all the time. It's a harder touch than the TX2000 though.

Gordon

5. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Actually, it's only the Toshiba M700; not heard anyone report problems with the M750.

You're right it's down to personal preference. For me it's a nice bonus feature (and one of the reasons I'm happy I got the M750 over the T5010) but it's hardly a 'killer' feature and I'm sure many don't miss it at all!

If you search there's a program called "TouchControl" that allows you to disable touch input when you require (to prevent accidental recognition).

6. primexx

primexx Scribbler - Standard Member

well right now i have to use the pen for any input, which can be rather inconvenient if you only want to press one or two buttons - or even walking at the same time you're trying to do that, so a touchscreen would definitely come in useful.

7. cephasara

cephasara Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for that information. Yeah I figured a touchscreen would be pretty useful as well. I just purchased a m750 with the touchscreen option. I am just afraid of having a grainy screen now, but from what I heard the m750 has a pretty clear screen still.

8. mathiasm

mathiasm Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a Sahara i440D slate tablet which has both. I use digitizer to write since it avoids wrist problems and is more precise.
    I use tablet when I play poker, browse, or read something.
    Touch is then more a relaxing feature, and it avoids pen handling a lot just to launch a program

9. Mydixiwrecked00

Mydixiwrecked00 Scribbler - Standard Member

i find that when im doing real work i need the pen but when im just surfing the web and dont need to type that much i just use touch, to me its noticably faster not having u do anything more then touch what u want. if u need to type anything short.. ie enter a search in google.. just bring up your on screen keyboard for a second and enter what u need. combine the ability to touch with the ability to use screen flicks ( another great time saver)and a bioscanner( no more entering passwords) and u can navigate very quickly... it literally made my time spent trolling forums reduce drastically.. so i had to join some more to use up all my new found spare time:D

10. enneract

enneract Pen Pal - Newbie

to the OP's title question: Yes.

I have a dell latitude xt, and I only use the pen for 'work' anymore (ie, actually inputting ink), with the touch function generally taking over for navigation, even in place of a mouse when in notebook mode.

I upgraded from a TC1100, and tbh I wouldn't want to go back to a single-digitizer solution again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.