With all its problems...would you recommend it?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by herewego, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triggrhaapi

triggrhaapi Scribbler - Standard Member

The color banding issue is minor. It doesn't affect intel graphics and you don't notice it during gameplay.

The only thing that bothers me is that it does affect 3D modeling, but I don't make textures in Maya or Mudbox, so it's not really a problem.

The actual reliability issues are much more pressing. I'd rather have no problems with restarting or shutting down, no problems with a startup caps lock blink and no hard drive issues.

The component quality is fine. They nailed that, in my opinion. What they skimped on really was the education and skill of the assembly of the device. These things are made by very low skill workers if we are having the reliability issues we are having.

The hard drive issues I can fix. The startup/restart/blink code issues are HP's problem. I'm going to hold out until after the rush for the HP slate to send mine in for service, or I'm going to have it sent to somewhere in the states to get repaired. No way I'm letting an overworked Chinese guy near my baby.

Definitely not a computer for someone with low patience. Great computer for someone who can do IT.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Installing win7 doesn't necessarily require an optical drive it can be done from a usb flash drive or even from a hard drive. Trying to remember if the recovery partition on the tm2 can also be backed up to flash drives or hard drives, it can be done via imaging software.

3. Ultimoose

Ultimoose Scribbler - Standard Member

@herwego You can burn a set of DVD's (ONCE!!!) using the system restore manager application through windows if you don't want to spend the $20 on an official set. Note HP only allows you to burn them once although if you do a full restore of the machine after doing so through the BIOS using the utlity partition it might allow it again, depends on where it's writing the data that you've burned them once.

Instead of DVD"s you could use a 32gb flash drive optionally and avoid the external optical drive, assuming you have a 32gb flash drive.

4. herewego

herewego Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for all the advice guys! Really pushing me toward it.

Does this generation of tm2ts seem to have less hardware problems? Or are recent buyers still getting them more often than not

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The hardware issues were more prevalent with the Generation 1 Tm2's. but even then it was a issue with just a few manufacturing/ quality control issues. most of these issues seem to have been solved with the Generation 2's (though some people are reporting "color banding" when on ATI; that is only seen in the Generation 2 Tm2's)

And at that there are a HUGE number of Generation 1 Tm2's that are perfect; that many people are using still, such as myself (actually mine has been getting better and better, with software additions and new hardware: like a good ssd and the Axiotron Studio pen) There are also a HUGE number of Generation 2 Tm2's that are perfect as well.

6. koao

koao tm2's great.

I would recommend it. After getting a slight issue with the first tm2 i had, I bought another tm2 for a good deal, and I was liking it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.