Wireless radio won't turn on.

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Vic20, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Vic20

Vic20 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup I am new here, hello to you all!

On to my problem, About a week ago my ability to connect to my home network (or any wireless network for that matter) came to a halt. Upon investigation I discovered that while the wireless NIC was operational the radio was turned off. After a bit of research I discovered that Windows 7 (or Broadcom) has the ability to turn the wireless NIC's radio off if it detects a physical NICs connection and activity. Apparently the ability to turn this function on and off is located within the Advanced settings of the Broadcom 4313 driver, it's supposed to be under the setting "Disable Upon Wired Connect ". Unfortunately there is no such setting either with the 2010 driver or the latest 2011 driver.

I have tried the setting under the Windows Mobility Center,but the "turn wireless on" button is subdued. I also tried the Broadcom supplicant (Wireless Configuration Utility) and there was nowhere within the application to turn it on. I have also tried the small application in this thread http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-slate-500/36740-wifi-toggle-systray-utility.html But my wireless NIC's Radio is still in an "off" state.

I am hoping someone here has had, or heard about this and knows of a solution. As I am running on "E" with ideas how to fix this (Short of sending it back to HP).

Thank you!

**** Post #6 has the download link for the version of HP's Wireless Assistant that works with the Slate.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. Vic20

Vic20 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the quick response, I downloaded and tried to install it, but it comes back and says "This version of HP Wireless Assistant is not supported on this model. Please download and install the correct version from www.hp.com" I am going to see if I can locate a version of their site that might work. If you have any other suggestions, I am all ears. Thanks again!

4. Agent 9

I was afraid of that, but it was worth a shot... I'll scour around and see if I come up with any info. It should have a pretty simple fix, we just have to find it

EDIT: have you tried going into device manager, disabling wireless, rebooting, and trying to enabling it again?

5. Vic20

Vic20 Pen Pal - Newbie

Did as you suggested, and the Radio is still in an off state. Other troubleshooting I have tried:

Unchecking TCP/IP v6
    Making the wired and WLAN autoconfig service automatic start.
    Removing the broadcom service from startup (msconfig)
    Looking through the registry for specific device settings for the Broadcom NIC
    Looking through the Broadcom driver .inf file for specific settings pertaining to the radio.

Thanks again!

6. Vic20

Vic20 Pen Pal - Newbie

Took me some time, but you gave me the general direction. After trying quite a few variants and versions of HP's Wireless Assistant. I finally found one that works, and viola! I turned my radio on and all is good! :)

Here is the link for anyone else looking to install it on their slate. (Not sure how mine managed to turn itself off, but this would have been a handy little tool to have around if HP would have included it!)

HP Wireless Assistant - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Thanks again Agent 9!

7. Agent 9

Nice :)
    Glad its working again for you!

I really don't know what causes it to malfunction, but I haven't seen the issue return in the months since I did it, so it should be a permanent fix... Hopefully

I'll create a sticky for new user and helpful threads, and this fix will have to be included for sure

8. dishe

dishe Pen Pal - Newbie

The link above just goes to HP sales. Is the wireless manager no longer available?

I'm tearing my hair out trying to chase down the exact same problem.

9. dishe

dishe Pen Pal - Newbie

I fixed it myself in the end.
    It seemed like the danged OS kept assuming some non-existent hardware switch was off for the wireless.
    The solution? Linux live USB. Booted into linux mint 17, which picked up my wireless hardware and connected to my network just fine. Then I forced the device off without shutting down (my theory is that the hardware would be stuck in the "on" state), and voila! Booted back into windows and all is well.

Well, except that Windows on this thing is super slow and I might just want to go back to Linux! :)