Wireless Problems in Gateway C-140

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by philipco, Aug 20, 2007.

1. mig174

mig174 Scribbler - Standard Member

this only happens to me if i play 720p video; the network center locks up.

I think it's becaus eof vista

2. n0s4ra2

n0s4ra2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine also randomly disconnects from the net. But it will stay connected to the hub.
    Restart fixes it till the next time. Anyone try to find drivers from the chipset manufacture of the install nic card yet?

3. DrNick664

DrNick664 Scribbler - Standard Member

Also another option would be to change the channel your router is broadcasting on because frequent disconnects could mean interference, like from an angry microwave.

4. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

Hmm... isnt that what i mentioned earlier?

*cough* interferance *cough*

5. DrNick664

DrNick664 Scribbler - Standard Member

oh haha... yeah i missed that... But anyway still try changing the channel.

6. philipco

philipco Pen Pal - Newbie

UPDATE: Called Gateway, and after about 5 minutes they decided to send me a new wireless card. Not many questions, no tries at fixes. They are just mailing me a new card.

Here's the thing. Since the windows update, I'm not having problems online at home anymore. Will try it at work tomorrow.

Weird, eh?:eek:

7. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

Ok, I guess I was sort of speakign too soon. It does seem that it loses more connection over time. I have not actually had it completely dropped yet, and I dont even notice the connection being worse unless im downloading something.

When I started downloading, it went from starting at around 500 kbs a second and gradually decreased and stopped at 72.5 kbs a sec. I plugged it into my ethernet cable which normally gives it a better connection, and it didnt change status at all.

I restarted the download a couple times and its hovering around 600kbs a second now. I guess it realized i was using the ethernet cable? Its wierd, I am now downloading onto my external HD (was originally internal before formatted) and it seems to be going ok, but i think its a coincidence and the current internal is working ok too.

They are both supposed to be 5400 rpm, so they should be at the same speed.

Could it be something that I need to update like a driver? or do i need to reseat my wifi card?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and im sorry for not trusting you others with similar problems. Mine is somewhat different however, because I dont think i ever actually lose the connection. Its wierd...

8. gatewaymike

gatewaymike Pen Pal - Newbie

That sucks you guys are having so many problems! So far both work and home wifi points are working great. Once I reinstalled windows, getting rid of the default Vista installation, everything is so, so much better. Ink is better, everything is better! And, less RAM is consumed.

9. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

When you plugged it in initially, did you disable the wireless? it could have still been thinking you were using it. Also, try reseating the wireless card and see.

I've not had problems.

10. gatewaymike

gatewaymike Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought I would mention I did encounter similar behavior eventually. I uninstalled the Intel drivers and used the drivers provided by windows vista and the problem has since gone away.