Wireless Problems in Gateway C-140

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by philipco, Aug 20, 2007.

1. DrNick664

DrNick664 Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know much about wireless such and such so ill just say that I imagine it could be the router, or perhaps just one of the many flaws in our new Vista OS.
    -SO bottom line-
    * possibly get a new router
    *wait for Vista updates

also i suggest you visit the notebookreview.com section because there are some very good people in there that I believe can help you.

2. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

He could be accidentally turning off the wireless on his laptop by either pressing a button or combonation of keys... I do that on my old laptop a lot. It has the wireless on/off switch on the front just below the touchpad. I end up clicking it on and off with my thumb.

3. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

Turning off wireless requires holding the Fn key while pressing F2, an unlikely accident. As for thoughts that it might be Vista, that's utter nonsense, as the rest of us with our C-140Xs haven't experienced any problems with it. That one would affect us all equally. It is probably either a router issue or a bad wireless card (or the antenna wasn't connected properly). If no other wireless devices have any problems with this router, then I would call Gateway and tell them you have a mafunctioning wireless card. They should be able to sendyou a replacement (they include instructions for replacing it on their site).

4. philipco

philipco Pen Pal - Newbie

a couple of other details on the problem:

1. rebooting always fixes it
    2. it's not because i'm accidently turning it off
    3. i'm wondering if it's the router, but i'm having the same problem at my university, which has a different kind of router.
    4. other notebooks work fine on this router. i have an idea that vista and older routers don't mesh well together.

thanks for the suggestions, guys.

5. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

try removing the wireless card, and reseating it

6. DrNick664

DrNick664 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah it might be the vista drivers, so you'll find out when the patch comes out. And I really suggest that you go to notebookreview if you havent already because they are very good. I went there to read Theoretical caching and it completely blew my mind.

7. jt307

jt307 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had the same situation. If i am on wireless after a few hours, it will revert to connected with limited blah blah blah. The only way to get it to switch back to full conection is with a restart. It isnt the router as I have many devices laptops included that do not experience this. This is the only device though which I use in wireless with full time Vista, my other wireless machine is a dual boot xp/vista. I have tested removing all firewalls, leaving my connection open and unprotected, running other machines, wirelessly and wired, and it seems that it is vista that gives me this problem. Now when it happens I am still connected as certain progs running in the background monitoring stocks, and such function, but web pages wont render. Of note, driver updates for the card, and an external PC Wireless C.ard have rendered the same problem. My router is a westell 327W

8. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

I havent had any problems at all with wireless... I even left it on all night doing something internet related... If it lost connection it would have closed, because it happened to my desktop when the cable was accidentally unplugged.

Its probobly lack of wireless signal at certain times. It will happen with anything wireless... perhaps sombody moved something in between you or the router, and it temporarily could not find the signal... It is also possible that another wireless device could have coused a little interferance.

9. philipco

philipco Pen Pal - Newbie

It's not because someone moved something in between the computer and the router!

Goodness . . . it can happen at any time. Computer in the same room as the router . . . never is touched . . . loses signal.

I suspect/blame vista.

10. NC_pda

NC_pda Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm experiencing this issue as well.

It seems the tablet establishes a connection with my wireless router (and detects about 6 others in the neighborhood) with a strong signal at boot-up. 30-45 minutes into using the tablet the signal strength starts fluctuating dramatically (dropping from 5 bars down to 1 bar on the signal strength indicator). In the next 5-10 minutes the signal drops completely and the Vista Network and Sharing Center applet locks up. At this point the software indicates that no network access points are present.

Rebooting corrects the issue. It also seems to happen more frequently in laptop configuration than in tablet configuration. Environmental variables remain the same when the issue occurs (tablet is not moved any further distance away from router, etc.) and other PCs in the house using the wireless router keep a solid connection.

Given that the issue happens over a period of operational time my suspicion is that the cause is heat buildup in the tablet may be affecting antenna or wireless adapter performance. I have experienced this issue the most when using it in laptop configuration on top of a pillow while sitting in bed; I'm sure that this reduces the performance of the two heat management fans in the bottom of the base.

C140x
    Core Duo 2 T7100; 2GB RAM; DVD-RW; 120GB HD
    Windows Vista; Office 2007 Business