Wireless Performane Since Driver Update

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Breed, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone noticed some seriously degraded wireless performance since the driver updates? Windows will continue to show 4 or 5 bars, but my Tab struggles to obtain a link speed of 19.5Mbps on the adapter status. I first noticed when I struggled to stream an HD movie upstairs. When looking at my router stats, it gets a signal strength of 45% and an SNR 36dB of when standing next to the router. My GF's iPad, on the other hand gets 70% and an SNR 60. Pretty sure it wasn't this bad before the updates. Thinking about rolling back my wireless drivers.

EDIT: Yep, rolled back and now getting around the same % and SNR as my Girlfriend's iPad. They've screwed something up in the new driver :(

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. swagner53

swagner53 Pen Pal - Newbie

hmm.. I have 65Mbps. Netgear router. will test on Cisco router at work tomorrow.

3. Breed

I get 65Mbps when I'm near the router. Just really crap signal strength. As I mentioned, Windows still reports 4-5 bars, but my router reports otherwise. As I go upstairs, my link speed reduces dramatically, whereas I retain a good link speed on the older drivers. Will test both drivers at work tomorrow also.

4. Schnabe

Schnabe Pen Pal - Newbie

I've also noticed this same behavior. I have 5 bars right now, but a link speed 26Mbps. I've also noticed that I cannot pull the same speedtest results as my i5 Ultrabook, or even my Galaxy Note II, all at the same physical location. I wonder if there is a setting changed in the wireless properties tab in the driver?

5. Breed

I compared the two last night. All the settings seem to be the same. Looks like they've changed something fundamental in the driver. I've rolled back - will probably make it permanent until the next set of updates from LiveUpdate. With the new drivers, I can't do much other than web browse upstairs....

6. tgwallbank

tgwallbank Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wondered which driver you had rolled back to? Is it the Lenovo one mentioned in the "old" driver update guide?

7. Breed

No, just the stock one. 97.76, I believe it is. I did a full restore when Asus released their drivers before I updated. I'm avoiding installing other OEM stuff now. I've not had any freeze ups or anything with the old wireless driver so I'm happy to leave it as it is for now.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  8. vadimpelau

vadimpelau Scribbler - Standard Member

I had a deep sleep issue this morning, had to reboot and upon waking up wi-fi wouldn't connect anymore. This is certainly a firs and I've read others had this and I had no idea how to troubleshoot it.

I was pissed off, then I got a call, then 10 minutes later it just connected by itself...

Has anyone experienced this before the update?

9. mm289

mm289 Tablet Business User

I had a weird experience a couple days ago.

I had clicked live update as I do occasionally, (just for a laugh :)), nothing ever happens normally just get the "cannot connect". Anyway, nothing happened but didn't get the cannot connect this time!

A bit later I shut down the machine and it went into "updating do not turn off" mode. Took ages to power down then on boot "updating" again for ages. When it finally loaded up I had no network and the touchpad was totally screwed. Tried disabling/enabling network adapter etc but it refused to see any network.

Rolled back the wifi driver which cured the network problem but the touchpad was still rubbish.

Fortunately I had a system restore point from a few days earlier so did a restore and all was great again.

Checked windows update and no updates installed, nothing in the ASUSACPI logs either, just weird!

Current wifi driver is 5.93.97.89

Not sure what went on their though!

MM