wireless performance in dock

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by billydog72, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billydog72

billydog72 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

anyone run across this "issue"?

having the tablet out of the dock, I'm getting around 12-15 Mbps wireless speed. When I dock it....it drops down to 1-2 Mbps and sometimes less....the whole system seems to slow.

any ideas why?

I bypassed the internal wireless plugging in an external belkin N+ USB receiver, and speed goes back up to normal, actually even higher than the undocked slate with the Broadcom unit active.

Hmmmmm....

:confused:

Bill

2. kartng

kartng Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same problem (though I'm using 802.11g gear, so my starting speeds and docked speeds are worse than yours). I didn't see your thread yesterday when I noticed this and posted another thread here. When did you receive your Slate Bill? I'm wondering if this could be an issue with the latest batch.

Can anyone who got their Slate in the first round of shipments test if there is a wireless performance hit when the Slate is docked?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I'm docked currrently and I'm getting 65 Mbps....

4. billydog72

billydog72 Pen Pal - Newbie

My wireless performance in the dock is a non-issue, now. Turned out that my whole network was being bogged down during some "torrent type" activities.

;)

However the speed is still a tad better based on my distance from my router, to use the external USB N+ adapter. I'm getting around 9 Mbps with the slates internal adapter and around 13-14 with the external solution.

5. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

Glad to hear that you found the cause and I will remove this one from my list :D

6. Britown

Britown Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm having a problem where the wireless connection stops when the slate is docked with power. When I disconnect the power cord or remove the slate from the dock the wireless connection resumes without issue. Any ideas? Thanks!

7. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

Hold off with that marker...

I've not had this problem until this week. I'm in the MGM Signature in Las Vegas and while WiFi in the dock works quite well at home (D-link 630 cable router 802.11n) - here I'm getting exactly the problem that's been discussed.

I was using WiFi in the dock so I could use a BT keyboard and mouse more easily, and the connection was horrible. Surfing was exceptionally painful. Then I decided I'd lay down and surf and watch some TV and *bang* suddenly everything's full speed. Back on the dock - dead - off the dock, even just a few inches away, back to full speed.

I can't guess why this is happening. The signal level is low (two bars) but the upper part of the dock is mostly plastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.