Wireless Perfomance Issue While Docked

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by kartng, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kartng

kartng Pen Pal - Newbie

I spent far too much time this weekend troubleshooting poor file sharing performance between my "main machine" (a 2007 Macbook) and my Slate, and in doing so, I think I've discovered an issue in either my slate or its dock. To make a long story short: I get around 300-400 kilobytes per second when transferring files over my wireless network while the slate is in the Dock, and 600-700 when the slate is in my hands. I've ruled out any sort of software explanation. I saw slightly improved performance in the Dock when I removed the two USB devices I had plugged in, so I suppose it's possible that there is some interference going on there, but the performance still wasn't equal to the out of dock speed. Can anyone reproduce this?

Given the age and quality of my wireless router, the 600-700 number doesn't surprise me, but the 300-400 number is too slow to stream H.264 720P video reliably, so I guess I'll be watching the better part of my media library with the slate in hand...

2. TWACK

TWACK HP Addict

I bought a USB to Ethernet adapter to connect to my dock. Take a look at the Linksys USB300M. I find it quite handy as some of the places I go do not, or will not, allow WiFi.

That would cure your prob while in the Dock and since you do not have the problem out of the Dock, no problem.....

HTH,
    TWACK

3. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

You can also purchase one from HP at ....
    USB->Ethernet adapter

Rick

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. kartng

kartng Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions guys. As to date I'm usually more in "work mode" when the Slate is docked, I doubt this will really bother me enough to go wired. I'm just curious as to whether anyone else sees this hit, or if I've just got something in my Dock bleeding interference in exactly the wrong part of the spectrum. I hardly think the Slate has an "antenna-gate" problem - it's just wierd that I lose about 30-40% of my bandwidth when the slate goes in the Dock.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

How many devices do you have running at 2.4 GHz?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.