Wireless network switch

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Kate24, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Kate24

Kate24 help

I have a wireless router that I can't connect to, first step tells me to turn on the wireless switch on my computer...HP laptop designed for windows xp.
    I can't get anyone at HP to give me tech support. Can someone help?

2. zeromeus

zeromeus Pen Pal - Newbie

There are several reasons why you can't connect to your router.

1. The wireless is turned off.
    2. Your computer doesn't have the appropriate driver for the wireless card (highly unlikely, but could happen).
    3. The wireless card is damaged.

If your computer has a physical wifi switch and you tried it but it doesn't work, try going into "Control Panel" >>Hardware >>Device Manager.

Under "Network" look to see if your wireless card exists.

If it exists, it might be disabled. Try enabling it.
    If it "doesn't" exist, then you might have to go into BIOS and enable it.

Good luck!

3. biohzd79

biohzd79 Pen Pal - Newbie

How do you enable the Wifi card in the BIOS? I am able to enter the BIOS but cannot find how to enable the wifi card.

Here is my problem. I just wiped and factory restored my Tx1000z to the original factory settings. I do this regularly every 6 months. After the boot, I could not log onto my WiFi network because:
    1. The wifi card is not in the device manager nor does it show up after a 'add new hardware scan'.
    2. I cannot install the new drivers because the hardware cannot be found.
    3. When the wifi external switch is toggled, it only turns the bluetooth on and off.
    4. My wifi card was working fine before the format & recovery. My laptop has not left my desk so physical damage is unlikely. No power surges or any such problems in my home either.

How can I get my Wifi back up and working?

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Go to device manager, and check if the card is enabled.
    If it is, try uninstalling and allowing it to be reinstalled after restarting.

You can get to device manager from control panel, system maintenance, system, then device manager, along the left panel.

It should be under network adapters.

5. biohzd79

Reread my post. It does not show up at all under device manager.

6. DRTigerlilly

are there any unknown devices listed under device manager.

i'm sorry i was reading the info from the OP, and i also thought you mentioned finding it in the BIOS, i didn't see your reference to trying to find it in device manager. I apologize.

If running the drivers doesn't cause it to be detected it does sound like there could be a hardware problem.

I'm trying to remember if there was specific wifi software that came w/ the tx, like an HP Wireless assistant, see if you can turn it on that way.

I'm going to check on my friends tx.

7. biohzd79

No prob. It doesn't show up as a unknown device at all. It does not work under HP wireless assistant or with Vista managing the wireless. I have since done another format/factory restore and it still doesn't show up at all. It is like my computer doesn't even have a wireless card.

So I flipped it over, undid a couple screws to look at and and nothing looks physically wrong with the wifi board. It is really getting to me cuz I am very good with computers but I can't try to fix them when the computer won't even acknowledge that it has a piece of hardware connected.

O, and for ****s & giggles I called HP Tech Support, and my 1 yr. warranty expired July 12.

:(

8. DRTigerlilly

Check if there are any bios updates for your machine and install it, and see if it is detected after.

9. DRTigerlilly

I think i'm about to be the bearer of bad news, it's beginning to look like there is a known issue about the wifi/motherboard, bushd posted in the tx1000 xp thread

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showpost.php?p=120724&postcount=344

Since it has just been days since your warranty ended i seriously think you should take this up w/ HP support, particularly if its a known issue.

I've asked bushd to elaborate about what he knows about the issue

Edit. bushd pointed me to this thread here

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. biohzd79

Thanks for digging to pull up that thread. I have since done another software recovery and nothing worked. I also went old school and took out the wifi board and blew on the contacts just in case. O yea, I went NES/SNES style on my laptop.

HP support will not take it back for a repair. I am debating whether to buy a new WiFi board.