Wireless network login

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by morales, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morales

morales Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm wondering if anyone has had issues logging into their employer's wireless network. I updated what I think I could (drivers, etc), but when I try logging in, I'm having issues with credentials. I know I'm typing the username and passwords correctly. I've tried typing with the domain and without, but still no luck. It works through my iPod touch (what I'm using right now).

Any suggestions? Odds are my hardware isn't supported by IT.

2. lclev

lclev Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope. Talk to your IT person. It depends how they have the network set up. I have a guest logon for visitors but all other devices I have registered their MAC address with my DHCP server plus a bunch of other stuff which is irrelevant to this problem.

You may also need to open network and sharing on your slate then click on Manage wireless networks. Look at the connections listed and you may need to delete your work network listings then try to connect again. I have found sometimes once the wireless tries to connect it keeps settings even if they don't work. I am assuming your slate has its wireless adapter connection TCP/IPv4 set to obtain an IP address automatically.

Hope this helps.

Lisa

3. morales

morales Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks...I'll try deleting the profile. If not, I guess I'm back to Ethernet.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Many networks use Active Directory to push out policies (including wireless connection policies) and require a wired connection to download during start up, use a USB ethernet connection to grab the policies and try again....

5. aimgator

aimgator Pen Pal - Newbie

My slate works great on the wifi... my old laptop used to constantly lose signal during the day... i rarely if any get drops on this baby...

6. lclev

lclev Pen Pal - Newbie

Just thought of this... When I got my second slate the wireless would not log on to any wireless that had security enabled. I could get on if the system was open. I experimented with my home wireless and tried various methods of security and once in a great while I could get a connection but it would drop it. Most of the time no connection. I called HP and they replaced the wireless adapter and now it works fine.

Lisa

7. morales

morales Pen Pal - Newbie

I am able to connect to secured networks (simple WEP, WPA, etc) but not when a specific username, password, domain is required.

I was able to get wireless through my slate though by connecting a router to a LAN port and setting it up as an access point. I didn't ask for permission, but it's easier to ask for forgiveness...and it works!

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Have you tried booting up with a USB Ethernet Adapter on the Domain Network? Sounds like your CA may need to issue your machine certificates and often are dowmloaded via Group Policy.

9. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

Active Directory Group Policies can also be used to deny you access based on your credentials, (or lack of them).

You really need to talk with your IT people. That's what they are there for. They can look at your profile settings and have you going in five minutes or less, or they can reiterate company policy of why you or your device have been denied access.

Morales - My wireless system automatically detects rogue access points like yours operating in my airspace. I shut down guys like you everyday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.