Wireless Issues?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Snoochy, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoochy

Snoochy Pen Pal - Newbie

Is anyone having any wireless level issues with their new slates?

When I use the internal wireless, I only get at most 24Mbps out of 54 even when I'm right next to the hotspot (either at work or at home).

I plugged in a new Patriot USB wireless adaptor, turned off the internal wireless, and now I'm solid at 54Mbps.

Is there a new driver or some other configuration I should be aware of or is the internal wireless really that weak?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How are you determining speeds?

3. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

Is it different whether you're plugged into power or not? There is an Advanced setting under Power Options:

Wireless Adapter Settings
    PowerSaving Mode​
    On battery: Medium Power Saving​
    Plugged in: Maximum Performance​

4. Snoochy

Snoochy Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm looking at the Wireless Network Connection Status page (shows speed and signal quality).

5. Snoochy

Snoochy Pen Pal - Newbie

I am currently plugged in with the craddle. I changed the setting, but even when it is plugged in, once I remove the USB wireless, and switch back to the internal wireless, I drop from 54 down to 11Mbps. It just seems like the internal wireless isn't as strong as using the external stick?

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Or it could be a compatablility issue between the reciever the HP Slate uses and the one your AP uses, the Slate uses a "b,g,n" WLAN and I have noticed that with some older APs have issues with the newer WLAN cards. The Patriot and your AP seemed not to have the issue.

Have you seen this on all APs or only the one in question now? If it all of the APs you may have a hardware issue. If it is only on this AP, I would see if there is a Firmware upgrade for your AP. From the speeds may we assume that this is a "g" AP? Have you attempted putting the Slate into "g" only mode and see if that helps?

7. Benz360

Benz360 IT Pro

I've been checking this and get a solid 54 at home and work *shrug*

8. Snoochy

Snoochy Pen Pal - Newbie

Funny enough, the work APs are brand new HP Procurves!!! Go figure. If I get under the AP, then I can get it to 54...but otherwise still at 11 at my office...but like I said, if I use the Patriod USB, it is solid from my office. I was just worried there was some new driver required or another setting. I can't seem to find the selection to force "g" only in the properties. Even my IT guy tried and left it as is as it wouldn't connect with any other forced changes.

Appreciate everyone's input...

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Sounds like you are facing interference between the AP and your disk. Do yor know whether your APs are deployed as an Enterprise Deployment with overlapping AP coverage?

I would be interested if the onboard is connecting to a further removed AP than the Patriot.

10. Benz360

Benz360 IT Pro

I just got 18, but i'm in the backyard at my grandmothers house. I will do further testing at home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.