Wireless Dead on TX1000, need pressurization...Time to buy?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by 970261, Nov 19, 2008.

1. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

As the title says, my wireless card has gone "under the radar" after an apparent BSoD caused by overheating.

Out of warranty, BIOS flash didn't help, re-installing drivers didn't work, system recovery didn't work...

The up-side? I now need pressurization for my work.

Before i had been contemplating on getting either the 2710p or the 2730p. Had a good deal on both. Quote, HAD.

deal's gone, so now i am probably going to get either an adapter, or the brand new 2510us that I can get at a moment's notice.

To buy? Or to NOT buy?

2. Dojomann

Dojomann Convertible Converter

HPs multi-touch capacitive Tx2 series. Get that instead man. Heck yeah time to buy!

I'm a sucker for new things by the way, so if anyone wants to take my tx2617ca off my hands (with 3 year warranty, and I've added bluetooth and a carbon fiber skin, among a bunch of software extras) I'll take a reasonable offer.

3. 970261

erm...i meant the "older" model, the one WITHOUT the multi-touch....Why? b/c i NEED the wireless for work, and the two choices i mentioned above are the only solution available ATM.

Edit:
    After seeing my schedule i have for the upcoming week(s), i figured i'll just buy the store's 2510us. Faster and a "bit" cheaper than the tx2 which can only be bought online.

Given my experience with HP's shipping and handling...i figure i'll get it in about a week or so IF i order today.

On a side note, why did i even post thi threads up? thx Dojomann for the info on the TX2 series, but this can't simply wait...HOPEFULLY i haven't made a mistake.

4. Dojomann

Dojomann Convertible Converter

Hmm, yeah, if it's urgent best bet is to just go to the store and replace. Ordering the part from HP/Ebay will take a while, so definitely go for it.

2510us is a good model imo, should serve you well. Depending on the setup you have in your tx1000 (if it's a 3gb of ram model) you can probably swap some ram sticks and upgrade it to 4GB.

Also nice for spare parts (internals are quite interchangeable: bluetooth module, RAM, hard disk drive, and wireless module are all interchangeable between the two.)

Not to mention the keyboard and battery.

EDIT: either that or just nab a usb wireless adapter for the time being. In my opinion the tx2 will come down in price fairly quickly with the holiday season coming up, and it may be worth the wait (and the screen clarity for your work in the long run due to no resistive digitizer, only capacitive and active)

5. antihero

antihero Pen Pal - Newbie

970261: Just in case you weren't aware but your problem is likely going to lead to more problems - i.e. the motherboard may die anytime soon. Check out this link: http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1268501 - probably a good idea to back up daily, just in case this happens.

Sounds as though you're ready to move to another notebook - although I don't know why you'd consider another HP!

6. 970261

HP really is the only "tablet" PC my current local store has in stock (Mainly 2710's and 2730's...but a few of the "generic" models as well.)

If i wanted Dell or other brands, i need to order them.

and the first few hours i've had the tx2510 is....a blast compared to the older one i had (the tx 1308nr.)

both are good mind you, albeit with defects, but HP should SERIOUSLY get intel's on these babes. it'd knock out most, if not ALL, other's out of the tablet/keyboard hybrid area

7. 970261

wait...so the ram types are the same between the tx2500 and 1000 series?

8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

yes both use ddr2 so dimm

9. 970261

woopee, there i save 'bout 30! (hurries and swaps RAM)

thx! :D

10. Thokas

Thokas Too many laptops...

Some HP laptops qualify for 2 year limited warranty on the system board. If your wireless device is completely missing from you're device manager, then you have a system board issue. I know all dv2000, dv6000, and dv9000s qualify. I want to say tx1000s do as well, but I can't say for certain. I recommend taking your laptop up to Geeksquad, explain the system board issue, and let them ship it to their service center. You didn't hear this from me, but the system board(441097-001) for that model is currently out of stock. You laptop could qualify for a exchange.

The tx25xx series is a great line. I would highly recommend it.