WinTab drivers for Windows 8.1 don't allow short brush strokes

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jamie-B, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi guys. I made a 2 minute summary video to illustrate my problem, but I made it to ask the Japanese community, so I speak only in Japanese on the video; a better explanation is given in text below, but just from looking at the video, you may be able to figure out what I mean.

[video=youtube;cGLIRiqNUtA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGLIRiqNUtA[/video]

I use a Samsung 700t (full model name in signature), which has pen and touch input. When I was running Windows 8.0 on it, the WinTab drivers were great and I could draw a 2 pixel stroke just as easily as drawing a 100 pixel stroke (I use Clip Studio Paint, though I imagine any WinTab-based program has the same problem I'm about to describe). Under Windows 8.1, my existing tablet driver ceased to work (it couldn't align the cursor to the screen correctly due to landscape-portrait switching issues), so I had to change to a newer one supporting Windows 8.1. Accordingly, I tried a few drivers, uninstalling the previous one and rebooting after install each time. I tried: Wacom ISD Tablet versions 7.1.0-10 and 7.1.0-5, and also Wacom ISD Dual Touch 7.12-9. The latter one was suggested by the Samsung software update tool, while the former two were directly from the Wacom and Fujitsu T902 driver websites.

These three drivers all have the same problem: the first 10 pixels or so of a stroke are left invisible until you continue into drawing a long stroke, at which time it does display the first 10 pixels as well as the rest of the stroke. If you try to only draw a 10 pixel stroke, however, it doesn't display anything. The problem is not to do with pen pressure; I think it's listening for a right-click or trying to distinguish a click from a click-drag, but I've disabled 'hold down the pen button for a right click', so I'm not sure what else to do; this problem also presents itself on the desktop outside of Clip Studio Paint, preventing me making 10 pixel selection boxes.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  2. hart932

hart932 Pen Pal - Newbie

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

have you reset calibration? try uninstalling your wacom drivers then reseting calibration before re-installing the drivers. Sometimes calibration will present funky poblems.

4. Jamie-B

I looked for the Tablet-related processes running at the time and opened the folder containing them, then set all the executables as well as Clip Studio Paint itself to open in compatibility mode for Windows 7, then restarted to reload the drivers. I also tested compatibility mode for Windows 8. Absolutely no change (actually, CSP didn't open at all in compatibility mode for Win 8 somehow). I think I've tried resetting the calibration before re-installing drivers, but I can try again later. I don't have much hope.

New development: Actually it looks like I can't make a 10 pixel selection box on my desktop outside of CSP, either - it seems to be listening for jitter or a right-click or something before it wants to register a click-drag. Clicking, and large selection boxes, work just fine, though.

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Seems you may have a defective device. There's no problem with short strokes with CSP and any of the various Wacom tablet pc's I've tested. (I don't have a Samsung 700t, but I own the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2).

6. Jamie-B

Update: after two days of uninstalling and reinstalling everything I could get my hands on and trying every suggestion, Wacom (whose forums have very knowledgeable support indeed) drew up the correct answer. It looks like, rather than the problem being an anticipated right click, it was the anticipation of a double-click. It seems that the default setting for all these drivers was to anticipate a medium distance of jitter before registering a double-click. By changing that to the minimum distance setting (whether or not that was my setting in Windows 8.0), everything seems to be dandy again, though I haven't given it a fully thorough check yet. For now, on the face of it, it looks like I've just about survived the update to Windows 8.1.

7. balistic

balistic wacom jock

Yeah, adjusting Windows double click distance has been an issue with tablets going back at least to the first 12x12" Wacom ArtZ I had in 1999. Wish I'd seen your post earlier so I could've saved you some trouble!

8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Hey do you guys mean the double click speed and spatial distance (fast-slow and near-far) settings within the tabletPC pen settings? Or are you speaking of the windows mouse settings? And by minimum distance setting do you mean "fast"? So you have to double click very fast for it register as a double click, which prevents the system from detecting your small strokes as double clicks? because sometimes with especially complicated large texture brushes, I have the same issue with short strokes not registering for a split second, especially if I make the brush smaller than it's base size.

9. Jamie-B

I'm referring to the double-click speed setting you can find within the "Control Panel > Pen and Touch > Double-tap > Settings..." menu. To fix my problem, I dragged the slider for 'spatial tolerance' all the way to the left ('small'). It was previously about three notches higher. As for my 'speed' settings in that window, I don't think I needed to change this, but anyway it's closer to the 'slow' end of the slider (it's set two extra notches along from the minimum notch).

Interesting that I'm not the only one to have this problem yet I (and apparently even stoneseeker) had never heard of it... very glad to have solved it here!

stoneseeker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.