Windowx 7 Ultimate OEM x64 on tx2500z

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by jigjig, Oct 22, 2009.

1. jigjig

jigjig Pen Pal - Newbie

I had Windows 7 7000 on my tx2500z (on a partition, with the Vista installation still intact), and it kept randomly shutting off. Not shutting down, just completely powering off.

I have no idea what was causing this, but yesterday I formatted and installed Windows 7 OEM x64. The computer is still randomly turning off.

I have used this laptop very little since I purchased it, but wondering how this issue would persist after a clean install. Has anyone else experienced this? How can I determine what is causing it?

2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

If it is a persistent error i would be inclined to think its a hardware issue. I've seen many cases of laptops shutting off due to higher temps, and your series have been known for producing a lot of heat.

Try seeing if any of your vents are blocked or clogged, if not contact HP on the matter.

3. jigjig

jigjig Pen Pal - Newbie

Pretty sure that I didn't purchase a warranty with this product. Are there any tools that would help me to narrow down what the problem could be? RAM issues usually result in blue screens, right? I suspect RAM but I haven't had any blue screens, just random shut offs.

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

@jigjig your computer should come with 1 yr warranty new.

The random shut offs are much more likely to be due to heat, have you been monitoring the temperature?

5. jigjig

jigjig Pen Pal - Newbie

No, how can I do that? I'm not using it for anything intensive - I'll start it up, come back 10 minutes later expecting to see a clean desktop, and it will just be powered off.

6. jigjig

jigjig Pen Pal - Newbie

Do I need extra hardware to monitor the temperature, or is there software for Windows 7 that will allow me to do this... And if so, what temperatures should I be watching for?

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

there is software...but i haven't found anything for x64 versions. I'm sure the information can be found in the system...most of the software would likely be reading it from the bios.

Let me see what i can find. There is no additional hardware though.

I"d try this utility called Core Temp (this is specifically the x64 version)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Sparkinium

Sparkinium Pen Pal - Newbie

I had this problem on a tx2000 after I replaced the thermal material with not enough thermal grease. I would be willing to bet it's a thermal problem. If you've got a warranty with HP, get that thing back to HP... If not, buy yourself a tube of Arctic Silver 5, sand down a pre-1982 penny, and open that sucker up. :)

9. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Speedfan should also work link

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015