Windows7 or WindowsXP Tablet Edition??

Discussion in 'Software' started by GFX, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd get Vista so that you don't need to buy Win7 when it arrives as you'll get an upgrade for shipping costs.

Then I'd just put the RC of Win 7 on it straight away (dump Vista) and use that till the full version comes.

Unless you want a 64 bit OS injwhich case you'll be buying an upgrade anyway. In this case I'd get XP (may be a bit cheaper???) and buy the retail version of the 64 bit upgrade you want.

Gordon

2. aretzios

aretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

Again, a mistake. Win 7 upgrades include both 32-bit and 64-bit code. There is no extra charge for a 64-bit version. So, if one buys the machine with the 32-bit Vista installed, one would have to make a clean install moving to 64-bit but this has no implications on the price of the OS.

3. Chocobo

Chocobo Scribbler - Standard Member

Wait what. I've been holding out on upgrading tablets because I wanted Windows 7. Can you link me to somewhere on Fujitsu's site where it says this? Do other manufacturers (eg. Lenovo) do this as well?

4. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Here.. (Asia-Pacific region website, you might have to visit your own region website).

http://www.fujitsu.com/hk/services/computing/pc/windows7-upgrade/

Anyhow, the F.A.Q clearly said there will be "low-cost" or free upgrade to Windows 7.

perhaps the "low cost" is just the shipping cost

For other manufacturer, this is worth to read ;)

http://www.microcenter.com/storefronts/microsoft/windows7/index.html

5. aretzios

aretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

Ruzznuts provided you with a link and I will give you the price: $21. This is how much Fujitsu would charge you to send you the upgrade (Win 7 Pro, if you buy the Vista Business laptop). I think that the same deal, or even cheaper, is available in all other manufacturers.

So, this is the best deal for you. In fact, the in-line upgrade from Vista Business to Win 7 Pro should be quite easy and Lenovo would provide on the CD all the appropriate drivers (hopefully, they would QA the whole thing before shipping it out). You would not get this deal with XP TE and an upgrade to Win 7 would require you to buy the upgrade at full price (about $179 for Win 7 Pro) and you would have to make a full clean install.

6. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

It's Razznuts, :D

the $21 price I obtained is for my T5010's Vista Business upgrade and shipping to my country. The price, I think might differ from product to product and the distance of shipping destination.

Chocobo,
    I'd recommend you to fill the pre-order form and see the exact price for you.
    (You'll required to provide your device serial numbers and Vista CoA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.