Windows2005 Tablet PC Edition CD

Discussion in 'Software' started by everythingblogcast, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccy

soccy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

I am thinking about either getting a Thinkpad x41 or Toshiba m400. Does anybody know which one of them come with a windows installation CD? I like to do a clean install on each new machine I buy to make sure that no crappy stuff is hidden in my system.

soccy

2. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think toshibas come with the cd because my r15 did

3. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi,

Several owners of the Toshiba M400 either had a recovery CD or didn't come with one. However, if you did not receive a recovery CD, you can use the Recovery Disc Creator utility (it should be one of the icons on the desktop) to create your recovery CDs.

I'm not sure if the X41t has any recovery CDs, but it does have a HPA partition with the default factory installation of Windows XP TE2005.

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

The only way to get a clean installation of windows xp tablet edition 2005 is if you have access to MSDN. Tablet PC manufacturers tend to ship ghost images of the tablet, as it comes installed, so there's no way to get rid of the manufacturers add ons & microsoft doesn't sell that version of the OS otherwise.

5. soccy

soccy Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! The HPA partition idea sounds interesting. But too bad none of venders seems to provide an installation disk.

6. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

If your toshiba (or any other tablet) doesn't come with an install cd, you can make one yourself with the tablet functionality. Take a look at the Windows TPC post in the Acer section of the forums. You should be able to pull off the same kind of thing...

7. JonMiller

JonMiller Pen Pal - Newbie

I have heard that you can use an XP CD and information from your Manufacturer installed OS to make yourself a clean CD.

I don't remember the details right now, but I will probably do so next week.

Jon Miller

8. everythingblogcast

everythingblogcast Scribbler - Standard Member

If the Toshiba M400 is from the UK then it comes with a DVD. Anyway all systems must give the users a chance to make a copy of the recoverly DVD/CD. I cant find that option on my, but I will look more into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.