windows10

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by gurugopal, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Damian Montero

Damian Montero Pen Pal - Newbie

Finally got my HP Slate 2 from ebay. Pristine condition from the seller with all the bells and whistles even the stylus (with a working battery.

Upgraded windows 7 until there were no more updates only to be shown the "Validating Windows 10 for your PC" message.

What a disappointment. I've tried the "Windows 10 Media creator" which is a "force" app which does the upgrade for you. THIS is what made windows 10 work on my HP TM2 (a convertable tablet that is a year OLDER than the HP Slate 2) work. but on the slate 2 it seems to get stuck looking for 'updates' Only to go back to asking if I want to update.

I will continue to try the suggestions from the site that has all the answers (reddit) and will update this forum with what I find.

If ANYONE has had the HP slate 500 or HP Slate 2 updated successfully PLEASE LET US KNOW.
    For those that explain that you've gotten the "not compatible" message. You'll have to explain. Are you refering to the screen shown below. or what are you seeing?

Ref: Windows 10 Media creator: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    windows10Updatewaiting.png

2. Damian Montero

WINDOWS 10 on an HP Slate 2!!!

Alright folks. I am definitely talking to an empty room of excited participants but my words will echo in this empty room until someone hears them.

Windows 10 can be installed EASILY on the HP Slate 2 and probably the HP Slate 500.

How? Didn't you get the "we're still validating" message.
    YES I DID. THEN I IGNORED IT ;-)

Here are the steps to get your HP Slate 2 (and probably Slate 500 to WINDOWS 10

1) Make sure you have 3 GIGS free (more like more than 7 GIGS) in your hard disk.

2) GO to your control panel (no matter which version of windows you have installed) and make sure you run the "WINDOWS UPDATE" and have it update until there are NO MORE UPDATES (This IS important no matter which version of windows you have running because you need the updates that gives you the little windows 10 logo you have to click on. more on that below)

If you're on windows 8 (not 8.1), UPGRADE to windows 8.1 (this IS required. the updates to windows 10 is from windows 7 or Windows 8.1, NOT 8) and also update until you can update no more.

3) MAKE SURE to click on the windows 10 little flag logo on the bottom right to "reserve your copy" this is REQUIRED (and you can't get to this step without upgrading until you can upgrade no more)

4) Download and RUN the "Windows 10 Download Tool" DIRECTLY from microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

5) Wait a while. I mean a while. I simply started it in the corner at my job (with full wifi access to the internet) and waited. only clicking on NEXT or ACCEPT when I had a break at work) It took all day. You CAN do it over several days leaving your tablet on and making sure in the power management settings are set to NOT go to sleep if it's plugged in.

EVERYTHING WORKS without doing anything after the update
    (of course I had all the right drivers working in windows 7 so you have to too)
    - Touchscreen works
    - Pen works
    - Wifi Works
    - Bluetooth works
    - finger flicks (scrolling by flicking on the page and letting go quickly)
    - There is NOTHING in the Device manager that doesn't have a driver.
    - Haven't tried the HDMI or usb on the docking station, but without any driver's needed; I would gable it works JUST FINE)

Slate2Windows10.jpg

3. Damian Montero

Just reminding everyone that the HP Slate was Steve Balmer's answer to "Why would anyone want just a big iPhone" (Refering to the iPad before it was announced.

And he called it just an ebook reader.

I think with Windows 10 we can be sure that it's NOT just an eBook reader any more!

Balmer Slate.jpg

4. angelix

angelix Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried installing windows 10 on the 1st Generation Slate 500 but the GMA500 is not supported and the installation does not proceed any further.

I wonder if there is a workaround this? I have Win7 Ultimate installes at the present.

I was really hoping I could give new live to the Slate, I have been using it when I travel but I am starting to hate it (Actually it was never a good buy, probably the worse I-T purchase I have ever made together with my Sony Experia X1)

Anyway if someone has found a workaround the GMA500 issue , well PLEASE SHARE IT!

Thanks

5. Damian Montero

Did you try what I mentioned above?

6. angelix

angelix Pen Pal - Newbie

Not yet, will tryi in the next couple of days hoping I dont end with a brick

7. angelix

angelix Pen Pal - Newbie

ALLELUJA!!!

I managed to install Windows 10 on the HP Slate 500 first generation.

All seems to be working, although I have the feeling the whole thing is optimized for touch use rather than pen use in the sense that using touch seems easier and smoother.

I cannot get (yet) if WIn 10 is better than Win 7, I am still working my way around the new layout; It seems to me that a lot (A LOT) of settings are no longer available but I have been fiddling with it for just 1h so I am not sure yet of what settings are available and where to find them

To install it I bypassed the automatic installation (Get Win 10 Icon) as this operates a check which stops the installation because of the GMA500 compatibility issue.

Instead, I followed the instructions posted above, and RUN the "Windows 10 Download Tool" DIRECTLY from microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It took most of the night, the only thing is that you need to accept/set a couple of features during the first couple of Hs of installation, after that it did all on its own and from the looks of it , it took most of the night to complete the installation.

one important thing seems to be the space, it needs at least 9GB to do the installation AFTER you downloaded the update following the above instructions, so before starting, make sure you cleaned , unistalled and deleted anything you do not want to keep.

Anyway it seems much smoother than the old win7, Booting is faster and the overall experience more pleaseant...last week I was ready to move on nand get myself Toshiba Encore 2 Write, now it seems the old little Slate might still have a place in my life...will see next week when I am using it while travelling...

JoeS likes this.
  8. angelix

angelix Pen Pal - Newbie

OK I have been playing with WIndows 10 on the Slate 500 1st Gen and these are my findings.

- Touch/Pen/ N-Trig Duosense : Not installing 100% correctly. one of the DIgitizer's apps is not installing at all, therefore Although it seems you have everything working , that is not completely true...You can use the pen and the touch, sometimes the palm rejection does not work, sometimes the pen does not work. It is not really annoying but compared to before it is a step back. ONE GOOD THING, the gosts clicks have disappeared. Inking is worse than before, but I still have to teach it my writing (there is a procedure with 50 sentences to write in all the languages you want), so there ius a chace it might improve.

- HP quick Launch buttons... At first it did not work, then I managed to install the drivers and now it works, but not always, sometimes the keyboard jusnt does not popup.

- Grafic Display, now it is set at 1024x600 unsing a "generic" MS Driver, I read someone managed to install the original driver in "W7 compatibility) and managed to set the screen @ 1024 x 728 but I have tot attempted that and in all honesty I dont know if it is worth wasting the time on this

- all SW I had installed previously (Office 2010, Skype, SetFsb, Virtual Keyboard, Firefox, Opera Light) are working fine. The biggest improvement is for Firefox, now it runs much better than before.

- The Slate is Faster overall BUT I can see there is a DELAY when you open the Apps... you clic/touch the relevant Icon and the app opens few seconds later. I Wonder if the indexing is slowing down everything, I need to check on that.

- Antivirus: WIN 10 comes with Defender, but I had Nod 32 installed. After few hours palying with it I updated the Nod 32 which then took over and now takes care of all security.

- BT: at first it was not working, then somehow it fixed itself.

- it comes with several apps preinstalled... I deleted most of them , unfortunately some are impossible to remove.

Overall I can see a big improvement but it comes at a price, sometimes can be slow to open the programs, but then speed encreases; I think I can live with it as it is a massive improvement on the old W7 ... for now...

Not sure about the "tiles" thing.... I much prefer the old desktop, but maybe it is just me, being too conservative and old fashion.

Anyway, if I discover new things I will post my findings.

9. angelix

angelix Pen Pal - Newbie

Update:

After few days and more playing with the Slate 1st Gen and Widows 10 I had a couple of updates from Microsoff and I noticed few changes.

- for some reason certain apps were not showing correctly (upper part with title and closing buttons was not right) I suppose because of the "standard generic" display driver installed automatically during the upgrade from 7 to 10.
    I tried replacing the driver and suddently it loaded the ORIGINAL INTEL GMA500 driver and now it shows in my Device manager including the resolution 1024x728 wich is 100% operative (including the Intel Display manager app). The way to install it is by pointing the "driver search feature" to a Folder that contains all the OLD Win7 Driver installations, the folder is indicated as C:/SWsetup which I think comes from the installation of WIN7.
    Now.... it is not all good news, unfortunately.... the 1024x728 stretches the screen in a weird way BUT, whith the GMA500 driver and the 1024x600 resolution all seems to be perfect.

- After the last Update from Microsoft, the GHOST CLICKS have reappeared, it took to me 10 minutes just to log on (I have PWs to enter) however I noticed that they disappear if you do the PW typing using the pen and hovering it close to the screen; That enabled me to log on... after few minutes fighting with it, somehow it resolved itself.
    In the past there was a N-Trig manager utility that helped to fix this ghost click issue, unfortunately the utility is not working/installing yet and until I manage to install it I am not sure if this can be sorted .

- Anorther thing I noticed is that the touch screen is unresponsive in certain areas... again with the Ntrig utility this could be sorted straight away.... I did notice that after wew minutes (10-15) the scfreen goes back to working normally so maibe it is just my machine playing a bit... In any case pen functionality is always 100% so one way or another the Slate is usable.

- palm rejection is erratic; since there is no "manager" for the Ntrig Touch/pen features (Yet to be installed, I am fighting with "security alert messages") you cannot chose / manage the behaviour of the touch / pen features. As it is is not good, HOWEVER i thing the improvement in the overall usability is very noticeable.

- OVERCLOCKING.... I pushed it up to 2.2GHsz without a single line across the screen... before I could not pass over the 2.15 mark I think this is a massive improvement. BTW SETSFB worked straight away after the upgrade. Since I am trying not to "bomb" the ol' Slate, I am not going to push it any further, I am happy as it is now.

Now to the task of fixing the touch screen , once that is solved I will be a happy person :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015