windows10

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by gurugopal, Oct 5, 2014.

1. gurugopal

gurugopal Pen Pal - Newbie

Any body wants help on installing windows 10 on HP Slate 500 may contact me. I am successfully running with all drivers. Great Battery life and speed.

Bronsky likes this.
  2. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there. Any chance you could post a quick tutorial on how to do this installation?

3. propwashz

propwashz Pen Pal - Newbie

I second the tutorial. I have Windows 10 Preview installed, but running with the drivers installed by default during clean install. Everything works fine, except true multi-touch. When I installed as an update, touch did not work at all, the pen did though. Now, Device Manager shows "DuoSense" and "Multimedia Device" as having no drivers installed, but both the pen and "partial" multi-touch work. Swiping, tapping, gesturing etc work quite well, just without the nuances afforded by true multi-touch. (pinch to zoom, rotate,etc.) Any advice would be appreciated. I am having more fun with this old "Tablet PC" than I thought was ever going to be possible.

4. Damian Montero

Damian Montero Pen Pal - Newbie

**** UPDATED! Read my latest post ****

This is in no way a full tutorial, but I do believe it'll be the same as all other installations except for this

1) You need windows 10 on USB Stick (unless you already have windows 8 and it should install by it self by next week) If not continue

2) Turn OFF your HP Slate 500 or Slate 2

3) Plug into any usb (on the dock if you have a keyboard plugged in or onto the old USB port on the HP Slate

4) While the Slate is booting up Press the Volumn Down (-) continuously and you'll go into the startup Menu.
    a) From there you can change the "boot up order" from the BIOS SETUP.
    or
    b) Simply choose the "Boot" (it's boot something or boot order) and then choose the Usb stick you have already plugged into the HP Slate

5) Hard stuff is done. Follow the on screen instructions. If your existing windows booted up then turn off your slate and try again from step 4

Reference for the BIOS:
    http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02575515

FULL INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO INSTALL WINDOWS 10 ON ANY PC (no mention of course of how to make your Slate boot up from the usb stick)
    http://www.howtogeek.com/197559/how-to-install-windows-10-on-your-pc/

Official HP Drivers (if you which to try to fix the touch screen etc)
    http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5160458&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4052

Corrections or clarifications are welcome.

P.S. I just ordered a slate 2 from ebay JUST for this purpose.
    My original slate (which I eventually sold on ebay) became VERY useful when I installed Windows 8.1
    SO I can't imagine how much faster or more useful it'll become with windows 10

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  5. Damian Montero

New EASY way to windows 10.

1) make sure you have 3 GIGS free (more like more than 4 GIGS) in your hard disk.
    2) GO to your control panel (no matter which version of windows you have installed) and make sure you run the "WINDOWS UPDATE" and have it update to what ever you have.
    If you have windows 8 (not 8.1) upgrade to 8.1 (just google how to do that. really go to the windows app store and you'll see it as the first link)
    3) FORCE windows 10 update : http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/h...tart-downloading-the-windows-10-update-files/
    or
    Download the ISO and follow the links above. Getting the links is a lot easier with this tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you do the "FORCE" it'll mean that even if you went on ebay and bought a HP Slate 2 "with the BIOS Locked" you can still upgrade.

How is everyone doing with windows 10?

6. angelix

angelix Pen Pal - Newbie

I am really interested in this experiment. My Slate 500 is sooooo sluggish , sometimes I wonder how is possible I havent smashed it yet.

And I do really care of all my machines, all updates are religiously taken care of, everthing is set and working as it should , it is just slooooowwww.

If I go fro the istallation of WIN10, can I then revert it back to Win7 in case it does not work well?

7. niks4adam

niks4adam Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I was hoping to just do the normal upgrade from Windows 7 when Windows 10 was released, but I get the "Unfortunately, this PC is unable to run Windows 10" error due to the Intel(R) US15 Embedded Media and Graphics Controller (on the original Slate 500). Any tips on a workaround for that, or do I need to start from scratch? Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  8. Damian Montero

Sorry angelix. The only way to revert back in a backup and restore (or re-install win7)

And Niks4adam. Please let us know more.
    THe little windows icon at the bottom that tests to see if the tablet is compatible says it isn't...SHOOT!

9. niks4adam

niks4adam Pen Pal - Newbie

Damian, correct, when I click the little icon it brings up a page and says it can't install Windows 10 because the GPU manufacturer hasn't updated the driver yet for Windows 10. Bummer. I will say that at some point I had installed different GPU drivers, but I uninstalled those and reverted back to the default drivers and it still said the same thing.

10. Damian Montero

the two others that have chimed in originally (but haven't replied yet) seem to complain about drivers but not about not being able to install it.

I hope you can figure it out. I'll let you know what I see the moment I try it when I finally get my slate.