Windows XP Restore

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by bucky3, Dec 23, 2007.

1. bucky3

bucky3 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello:

My problem is that my computer shut off because it ran out of power. Now when I try to start the computer it goes to the black screen with the grey writing that says "we apologize for the inconvience windows was unable to start successfully". Then it gives me the options to start in safe mode, last settings that work, and start windows normally. However when I select any of the options I get a screen that flickers blue then goes directly back to that screen. I have an HP Compaq tc4400 Tablet PC which I optained from school. I called HP and they said that the only way to restart the windows succesfully would be to use the install cd for the Windows XP Tablet PC edition. However, since the computer came from the school, I am unable to get the cd at this time.

Is there any other way to get my Windows repaired witht he correct boot file than by using the cd. I have access to the internet over this other computer so I would be able to access any files that are out there. Hopefully someone can help with my problem thank you.

2. pcuser

pcuser Pen Pal - Newbie

The operating system could be at fault...

Tap F8 when booting and from the options select
    "last known good configuration"
    if not working, try and see if you can get in to safe mode and run
    chkdsk /r
    after that from start/all program/accessories/system tools/system restore, try a system restore to an earlier date...

if everything fails, ypu will need to re-install the operating system or do a system recovery i.e. if you have a recovery disk...
    If the above all does not work, you really have a failure in either harddisk or the notebook...

3. pcuser

pcuser Pen Pal - Newbie

Have found another solution for this kind of problem..examine and scan virus from a separate and independent environment based on XP... make this bootable CD free from the following site

http://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-build-bootable-troubleshooting.html

When in trouble, boot from CD drive and examine and scan the harddisk.. do chkdsk and many other function in a virus free xp lookalike environment... try it