Windows Vista RC1 Beta + SD Card Reader = slap on the forehead

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ichthyic, Dec 13, 2006.

1. ichthyic

ichthyic Pen Pal - Newbie

Err... oops. I have repeatedly stated in my experiences with the TC4400 and Windows Vista RC1 Beta that the onboard SD Card reader did not work with this OS.

Today, however, I was poking around the BIOS in order to try to boot a linux distro from USB Key (didn't get it to work), but noticed that under the Port options, the SD Card Reader option was set to [Disable].

Gee, wonder what happens if I enable it?

To keep a short story short, the onboard SD Card Reader *does* work with Windows Vista RC1 Beta.

This ranks as Lesson # 2 -- check your BIOS that on-board devices are enabled.

- ichthyic

p.s. (Lesson # 1 is "Don't set your BIOS password when you are drunk.")

2. Xtian

Xtian Pen Pal - Newbie

ah, it takes a great man to admit to one's simple yet amusing mistake.

It takes a greater man to not point and laugh at that man... that is not me...
    BWAHAHAHHAHAHA :D

PS: what does ichthyic mean? I know ichthys is fish in greek, does that make it fishy?

3. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Yeah, sometimes one just has to check the Device Manager once in a while, hopefully the RTM version coming on in January will fix that.

When I installed Vista RC1 (Build 5600) that I downloaded from Microsoft back in September this weekend it didn't recognize my network card! So I had to purposely go to another computer with Internet access and download the NIC driver. No harm no foul, Windows Update immediately downloaded updated drivers for the rest of the system. Now, when I tested Vista Beta 2 on the same machine, the Network card was instantly recognized and configured, and I could go on the Internet the second the desktop was shown.

4. ichthyic

ichthyic Pen Pal - Newbie

@ Xtian -- yes, ichthyic is about fish. Literally. :) Heh, also, the amusing thing about lesson #1 was that to remember the BIOS password I had to put myself back into the same state!

@ SimsHia -- it's great having multiple computers so you can access web resources from one while working on the other. How I ever got by with just 1 machine I don't know! Imagine if you had to reload the old OS just to get online to D/L the driver for the new OS? That's probably what you would have had to do years go, but now with booting from LiveCD or USB flash, there are so many more recovery options (actually, that's why I was trying to install Damn Small Linux to USB Key).

It's too bad that the retail release for Vista isn't happening until Jan 30. I will be refreshing my OS before the start of the new semester, and by Jan 30 I'll likely not want to tempt fate and compromise my system. In fact, because I missed out on RC2, and I find RC1 a little slow and unstable (won't run VMWare, Maple, etc), I might be tempted to go back to Tablet XP.

- ichthyic